Any hope of eggs soon?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bawkbawkbawk, Nov 3, 2009.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

My girls will be 22 weeks old tomorrow and no sign of eggs or the squatting behavior I read about here. I switched them over to laying feed a couple of weeks ago. They are happy and healthy - they get plenty of time outside in their pen and a few hours a day of supervised free-ranging. Here are pix of three of the four from today.

Lily, my Delaware:

[​IMG]

Hope, my Buff Orpington:

[​IMG]

Amelia, the Light Brahma:

[​IMG]

Do they look like they're having any kind of egg thoughts?????

2. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    I would say soon (within a couple weeks) from the buff orp, the other 2 have a ways to go yet. I know it's tough, but hang in there-you've made it this far!

3. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Don't worry, they'll lay soon! They're good lookin' ladies. Usually when somebody posts "Will they lay soon?" the girls start right up the next day just to spite you.

4. bawkbawkbawk

Thanks to you both. My thought has been that the BO will be the first to lay - she has much more going on with the comb and wattle, and she does a lot of "nesting" behavior - fussing around with the paper towels and pine shavings in the coop.

I'm just a little worried that if they don't lay soon, they'll wait all the way to spring, and that's a LONG ways away!!!

5. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Defenently soon. Those are some good looking chickens! [​IMG]

6. Joyryder

Joyryder Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    Scandia, PA
    I'm still waiting on my BOs (12 of them), they were 22 weeks on Monday. The combs on some of them are red now. Should be soon. I'll post when I get my first. I bet my BO will beat your BO.

7. bawkbawkbawk

Joyryder - I'll bet you're right - keep me posted.

FordMommy - thanks for the compliment!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by