Any Houdan experts out there??? PICS

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by poodlepill, May 20, 2010.

1. poodlepill

poodlepill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Do I have 2 types of Houdans or one a cockerel and one a pullet. They were from the same "rare breeds" bin and both have the extra toes. One is obviously more mottled than the other even on the legs. Just curious about them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I think you have pair.

3. poodlepill

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Thank you for your reply, curious what makes you think its a pair?? I guess Houdans don't get much in the comb/waddles department so I really cant tell yet like my Polish boys who already have hanging waddles.

Can someone elaborate on the color differences????

4. poodlepill

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    I'm answering my own post.

I just looked at the (blurry) head shots and the last one has quite a bit more redness in the face, is this the roo?

5. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Here is a picture of my Houdan Hen, Mrs. Von Poofy Head!!! LOL [​IMG] [​IMG] Don't know if this helps you or not? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The chick that has the redder comb is the one that looks like a roo ... don't know that for sure ... how old are they?

6. poodlepill

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks for the help, looks like the "mottledness" varies? as mine are so different right down to the leg markings

They are 8 weeks old

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    The one that looks like a roo isn't a "Pure" Mollted Houdan he doesn't have 5 toes ... only 4. [​IMG] Where'd you get them from?

8. poodlepill

Feb 27, 2010
    Southern Illinois
    Fluffy Puffy, he's got the extra toes its just a perfect angle for hiding them in this picture and I didnt notice it...LOL

They came from Cackle

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Okay, sorry bout' that couldn't see the 5th toe. [​IMG]
    I'd say the one that has the redder comb is a roo, and the other a pullet. [​IMG]

10. lockedhearts

lockedhearts It's All About Chicken Math

Apr 29, 2007
    Georgia
    Hatchery Houdans generally have a lot of white in them, the one pic that has the dark legs, that should not be, they should have few black spots on their legs but the legs should be white.
    The roos will develop horns that will shoot up like a comb does on a standard breed. Some hatchery roos will have large wattles as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by