1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any HVAC peeps here? I need some help.

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by SterlingAcres, Jan 23, 2009.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    DH had a question. I may or may not be correct in paraphrasing what he said. LOL
    He knows how to run duct work from the basement to run cool air, but he's stumped with our woodstove since we've never had one personally before. When this stove gets cooking, it's easily 100+ degrees in the living room, 70 in the kitchen, 60 in the upstairs bedrooms above the living room where the stove is and a chilly 45-50 in the bathroom above the kitchen.
    He wants to know how he can put in some duct work to direct the heat upstairs without losing all the heat downstairs.

Is it possible and do you have any suggestions?
    Thank you very much in advance [​IMG]

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Can't help you on that one Sterling, just wanted to wish you good luck...[​IMG]

3. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Put a ceiling fan in the room with the stove??

4. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    We have 4 fans running right now to blow the hot air around. It works really well- but we have a pretty open floor plan...

5. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    we had registers who's duct work was open into the basement where the stove was and a box fan suspended from the ceiling in the basement to blow hot air to the front end of the house. It was a hillbilly system for sure but it worked. In my experience having a wood burner means uneven temps.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
  6. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:This house was built for midgets. My downstairs is 7.5ft tall. Upstairs is 7ft. Ceiling fans are a no go until we get rid of the attic to make cathedral ceilings upstairs this summer.

7. SterlingAcres

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    Quote:I've got a WindMachine fan running to push the air into the kitchen as well. The bathroom seems to be the coldest.

ams, I realize we'll have uneven temps, we'd just like the upstairs a bit warmer. I don't like being shocked awake when I need to pee at 4am. [​IMG]

8. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:This house was built for midgets. My downstairs is 7.5ft tall. Upstairs is 7ft. Ceiling fans are a no go until we get rid of the attic to make cathedral ceilings upstairs this summer.

Mine are about the same height, we have a Low Profile over the coffee table, so no one can walk into it.

They also make small fans that mount in doorway, quiet, and just enought to get the air moving.

9. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    Do you have a force air furnace? If you do run your fan all the time. If you have a 2 story this is really good. No matter what. It make the heating more even. That is coming from a person that's put heating and cooling in new house's. The more air circulation you have is the better. Just remember heat rises.

10. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    Any more questions just pm me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by