Any idea about breed and gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Four Mad Men, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Four Mad Men

Four Mad Men In the Brooder

Jul 25, 2013
    We have six and they were supposed to be female. But two are crowing. Not unheard of for hens but just want to see if maybe they are not what we originally thought they were. No eggs yet, a month or so too young for that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Four Mad Men

Jul 25, 2013
    And one more that is hopefully a bit more clear.

[​IMG]

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It's a cockerel. In your 2nd picture - do you see those shiny, pointed feathers hanging down from the base of the tail? Those are called saddle feathers, and only cockerels get them.

4. Four Mad Men

Jul 25, 2013
    Oh no! We bought them as supposedly sex linked chicks (females). Six of our eight chickens are this same breed. Would you happen to know the breed?

5. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I see nothing in those that would work as sex linkage. Chooks is right about those really shiny like glass and very pointy feathers on the back and neck.. those are round tipped and not shiny on females. If you're seeing that on the others plus they also have combs wattles as big and red, that may mean there are more males... you can try putting up more pictures of other birds and we can help you with guessing their sex.

The bird are either production red or hatchery stock rhode island red.

6. Four Mad Men

Jul 25, 2013
    Here is one of five of the six. A little far away but it is the best I have just now of most of them. Will get more tomorrow if needed.

[​IMG]

And one more
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm sorry but you absolutely got took. Those birds are all hatchery type red cockerels. I'd check with your seller and see what recourse you have.

Hens can crow, but as a rule it's an older, dominant hen or a hen with hormonal issues. Young birds crowing are male.

8. Four Mad Men

Jul 25, 2013
    Thanks for the quick info on this everyone.

We got them at TSC. We were going to order them online but did not. They (TSC) will be hearing from me however at this immediate point we will be off to the auction with the two that are presently crowing and start looking at finding bona-fide hens to replace all six of those guys.

9. Kev

Kev Crowing

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Yeah all of them red birds are boys.

the grey/white one in last picture is a girl....

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Agreed. All boys.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by