Any idea on a breed for these girls?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by NewToFarming, Jun 25, 2011.

1. NewToFarming

NewToFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    I bought 2 hens yesterday and I was told their breed was a Cochinese...they pronounced it as Cockenese. I never heard of such a breed! Is there one? I am guessing Cochin and Japanese cross.
    What do you think? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. kentuckysilkies

kentuckysilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    Winchester Kentucky
    I think you have Cochin X Brahma there. Lovely hens!

3. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks! I thought they were pretty so I did get them. Actually got a pretty good deal yesterday! A 6 x 8 dog run, 2 hens, all delivered for $50! I was happy! These girls are still in the freaked out stage because it is all new and I feel bad because they want to be out free ranging with the rest of the flock but not yet! [​IMG] Hopefully they will calm down soon but I can handle them with no problems so they should be some good girls! [​IMG]

4. TeriyakiChicken

TeriyakiChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Western Australia
    Beautiful!

Good Luck with your girls [​IMG]

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They are beautiful - is that chocolate colored feathers at the front of them. You done good - beautiful hens, dog pen and delivery. Real bargain.

6. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    I think you're right on the Cochin/Japanese cross. The fluff around the top of the legs and the heavy leg feathering are definitley Cochin traits. The wing and tail carriage along with the short legs are all Japanese traits. Very pretty girls. And that is an awesome deal. [​IMG]

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Omg I want 200 of them!!!!!!

I would have never thought to cross those two breeds.

8. NewToFarming

Apr 28, 2010
    Millersburg, PA
    Thanks!!! They are escape artist too! LOL I didn't think they could fly that high due to their body type but they flew right out of the pen! LOL

Yes, I didn't pick up on that at first but they do have chocolate colored feathers on the front as well as lighter chocolate coloring on most of the rest of their body.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by