Any idea on a breed for these girls?

NewToFarming

Songster
9 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Millersburg, PA
I bought 2 hens yesterday and I was told their breed was a Cochinese...they pronounced it as Cockenese. I never heard of such a breed! Is there one? I am guessing Cochin and Japanese cross.
What do you think?
idunno.gif

55771_sam_0239.jpg

55771_sam_0238.jpg

Thanks! I thought they were pretty so I did get them. Actually got a pretty good deal yesterday! A 6 x 8 dog run, 2 hens, all delivered for $50! I was happy! These girls are still in the freaked out stage because it is all new and I feel bad because they want to be out free ranging with the rest of the flock but not yet!
wink.png
Hopefully they will calm down soon but I can handle them with no problems so they should be some good girls!
wink.png

They are beautiful - is that chocolate colored feathers at the front of them. You done good - beautiful hens, dog pen and delivery. Real bargain.

I think you're right on the Cochin/Japanese cross. The fluff around the top of the legs and the heavy leg feathering are definitley Cochin traits. The wing and tail carriage along with the short legs are all Japanese traits. Very pretty girls. And that is an awesome deal.
big_smile.png

Thanks!!! They are escape artist too! LOL I didn't think they could fly that high due to their body type but they flew right out of the pen! LOL

Yes, I didn't pick up on that at first but they do have chocolate colored feathers on the front as well as lighter chocolate coloring on most of the rest of their body.

Back
Top Bottom