Any Idea On A breed?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Goat_Walker, Sep 9, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Well, I have always had at least one animal in the house.
    We recenltly had to put my 12 and 8 y/o white mini schnauzers down,
    so I only have one salt and pepper schnauzer left.

Of course i have the goats, ducks, rats, hamsters, and fish, but none of those can sleep with me at night or run free everywhere i go.

I am looking for:
    Something that does not shed or sheds very little
    Size doesnt matter
    Rather that it did not drool
    Nothing showy or really really fluffy, it will be a country dog.
    likes to run around outside
    good guard dogs
    Pure bred

On the last thing noted, I personally prefer mixed breed dogs, but my mother is peevish, and says only pure bred so you know what is in them

We were thinking of breeding our Salt and pepper once more and keeping a pup or two, but she is still grieving for her mama and sister so now is not the best time.

So, does anyone have a breed of dog they would like to recommend?

(whatever dog we get will come from the HA, [​IMG] )

Edited becuase I forgot to mention a note

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  2. Sunny Girl

Sunny Girl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2008
    Logan, Utah
    I recomend a standard poodle. Yes, I said poodle. Very sweet, no shedding, loves to run and play.
    Poodle mix with a short haired dog is ideal because you have a no shed coat and don't have to pay a groomer. You could even breed you schnauzer to a toy poodle.

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    ive been recommended that breed before, but poodles are just... showy i guess. I dislike the cute they are given, and ive just met alot of poodles who are... well a little stuck up :

Im not dissing the breed, Thank you for recommending the poodle, but due to a past reference, poodles just wont do [​IMG]

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Have you known *standard* poodles though? They are VERY different from the toy and miniature ones IME. And if given a normal haircut rather than an actual poodle clip, they do not look 'stuffed animal-y'. STANDARD poodles, the great big ones that you hardly ever see, are actually fantastically intelligent, sensible, fun, down to earth dogs (I can't imagine describing them as stuck-up) and would meet all of the criteria on your list - which esp. with the nonshedding I'm not sure how many other breeds would.

I say this, btw, as someone who in general really dislikes purebred dogs - so this shows you how impressed I've been by the standard poodles I've known (once I got over the initial Euuuuwww it's a *poodle* thing, which believe me was my first reaction too).

Just a thought,

Pat

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks Pat,

Im going to have to look into it. Ive only ever met one standard, and the owners had the showy cut on him, so he looked like he had Pomeranian all over him.

I will look into them, since you started out with the EWWW factor like I am, lol.

6. Jamie_Dog_Trainer

Jamie_Dog_Trainer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Washington State
    My first thought was a Standard Poodle too. I've trained many and have always loved them. Most are exceptional house and family dogs, are intelligent and gread watch dogs (guard dogs are not the same as a watch dog).

Things to consider about the breed: most are very high energy and NEED training and a good leader in the house, even after the dog is trained they need things to do, they are also dogs that take a long time to mature, and they require good grooming every 4-6 weeks to keep them from getting really cruddy.

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Whatever dog we get will have plenty to do. 5 acres is a good bit to run on, and we have another dog (even if it is only one) that will be a great playmate

As for training, depending on the breed, most likely they will be trained all the simple stuff ( come, sit , stay, heel) as well as a few others, lol

8. reallemons1

reallemons1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Gloucester, VA
    I had an overgrown miniature poodle. He was a great dog. He was very devoted to us, good with the other animas, and did not shed everywhere. Don't let them fool you, he was a tough dog. His passion was to hunt...anything from rabbits to butterflies.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

How about a Labradoodle? I think theyare in the stages of attempting to become an actual breed, aren't they? Great combination, IMO.

I agree with the standard poodle idea, as well. I, too, have never met a mini poo that I could like as they yap all the time, nip alot and are just too much care in regards to grooming. The standard poodles, on the other hand, are intelligent, warm-hearted, easily trained and don't usually have the fussy, froo froo styling of the minis. They look excellent just like they are. Great dogs and can be utilized for hunting if one is so inclined.

10. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    I would love to try and see how things would go... if only it werent a poodle!

Its just that since i was little, ive had the thought that poodles = ewww.
    Ive watched dog shows since i was 10, so I saw most of them in the ring.

So its just kind of hard to accept the breed. I just cant see myself with a poodle, even if it is a standard, but i am trying really hard, becuase everything that has been said is what i want in a dog.

If only it werent a poodle!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by