1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any idea on breed for these 2?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Coop da Grass, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Coop da Grass

Coop da Grass New Egg

Jan 27, 2012
    Hello All,
    Brand newbie to the board. Looking for help identifying these two.
    Got them 'bout this time last year from a feed store, and proceeded to forget the breed of each of them. He has yellow legs and she has slate gray/black legs.
    [​IMG]
    Close up of the roo
    [​IMG]
    Not sure what kind of comb you consider this...nut, fruit or vegetable (walnut, strawberry or pea) got a lot to learn. Didn't look at their soles, but he has four toes if that helps anyone. I haven't actually caught her laying an egg, but I know she is, cause I have 4 hens and I get 4 eggs a day. So I am guessing she is laying the off white/beige egg. My other hens are BO, RIR, and (what do ya call the red hens with the white spots? sex link red or production reds? I have a pooper scooper for a memory.
    [​IMG]
    Thank you in advance for any and all help.
    My other crew & roo. :)
    [​IMG]

2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Black Aseel rooster and sumatra hen

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    can you get a side shot of the hen? her eyes the wrong color for sumatra and I think she has a white hue to her ear lobe

4. Coop da Grass

Coop da Grass New Egg

Jan 27, 2012
    I took these at night so they would stand still for me, was using a flash and a flashlight to be able to get the camera to focus. Not sure if this helps, will try to get another shot.
    His tail feathers touch the ground and his wings have a really pretty greenish sheen, I'm pretty sure she does not have any white on her lobe but will double check. She has a sheen too, just more Starling/black bird like.
    [​IMG]

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Definintally cornish. Right comb- very stocky.

6. Coop da Grass

Coop da Grass New Egg

Jan 27, 2012
    Daytime shots
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Funny, he looked tall and graceful to me until I started taking pictures of him. I would never have believed he was a cornish, but looking at the pics, you may be onto something! Looks like a street fighter or a bar hopper, a real broiler I mean brawler :)
    I never even noticed that he puts his tail down at night and it is right perky during the day. His comb is round and bulbous. (Jimmy Durante-esk) It's amazing what you see when you really start looking, I just have never paid any attention before. Thank you all for your input. You made me "look"!

[​IMG]

7. goosehead

goosehead Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2011
    Right here
    Looks to me, its a cornish

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by