Any idea on breed. silky mix maybe

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by justoldbobo2, Jul 25, 2014.

1. justoldbobo2

justoldbobo2 Songster

Jun 10, 2013
    Jena , Louisiana
    I hatched these two out in mid April. They are only white ones to hatch and they are half the size of the others. The lil roo has 5 toes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I don't see any trace of silkie in either of those birds. Then again, I'm not seeing the five toes, either? They just look like mixed breed birds so far. Any ideas who the parents were?

3. justoldbobo2

justoldbobo2 Songster

Jun 10, 2013
    Jena , Louisiana
    Just message people I got eggs from they said roo reminded them of there Japanese (bantam I suppose)

4. justoldbobo2

justoldbobo2 Songster

Jun 10, 2013
    Jena , Louisiana
    [​IMG]

Back toe is split kind of.

5. Griffinsong

Griffinsong Songster

May 28, 2010
    They look like Japanese Bantam mixes. probably not directly with Silkie. No black skin or crest, or feathered legs. There are five major breeds with five toes. Silkies, Houdans, Sultans, Faverolles and Dorkings, plus a few regional breeds you are unlikely to see outside of their regions. Of these main ones, the one one that does not have either a crest, leg feathering or both is the Dorking, but they have white legs, which would be dominant over yellow legs. Therefore they do not have any of these breeds in the first generation, and are most likely multiple generation mixes, or the five toes could just be a genetic fluke, as polydactyly is a fairly common mutation to crop up 'randomly', because it can be hidden by other genetics.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by