Any idea on breeds of these guys??? 4/16 Lots of new pics. Please help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by tharrell, Mar 28, 2009.

1. tharrell

tharrell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Ok, these guys are about 2 weeks old, and I'm still not sure on their breeds. They were sold to me as purebred buffs, but I have my doubts. I don't really care either way, I would just like some ideas on what they might be!!!

This is the first one. He is just a solid light brown. I was thinking maybe a khaki campbell?
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Here is the next one. He's all buff colored but has markings on his head.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

And last but not least I have 3 that look like this. They are marked alot like a mallard but have always been much lighter in color.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

And a group shot for good measure.
    [​IMG]

Any quesses or comments will be greatly appriciated!

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  2. crazy cat lady

crazy cat lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    NW Illinois
    I have no clue, but they sure are sute. Hnd answer your question for youopefully someone will come along and answer your question for you.

3. lil'chickies

lil'chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    West Texas
    Can't help you out but they are adorable. They are only 2 weeks?? They are huge!! Good luck figuring it out. I'm in kinda the same boat!!

Gotta love them!!
    [​IMG]

4. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Yeah they are gigantic! I can't believe how fast they have grown. I have some chicks that are the same age as them and they are teeny tiny in comparison!

5. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    The first MIGHT be a male buff. Some of them develop dark colors really early. Other wise I agree on Khaki Campbell. The second looks buff to me. And the other 3 look like Rouens or mallard crosses. Those are my guesses. Cute birds!

6. tharrell

Jul 28, 2008
    Colorado Springs
    Thanks for all the ideas! So it seems as though they might be mutt ducks. I'm ok with that as long as the females lay atleast semi-well. Any other guesses?

7. tebs78

tebs78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2008
    I was going to say Cayuga (that aren't the black)
    or Khacki campbells.

8. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    the first one is too light to be khaki campbell, they usually have black feet/bills.
    The second looks like a buff to me.

the rest are too light to be mallards or rouens.... Though maybe it's a mallard or rouen crossed with buff... (Maybe your breeder has all buffs but some of his girls got entranced by some handsome mallards flying through, lol)

Buff ducklings do have some strange coloring when babies... Not all buff ducks are consistant in color, some are darker, some are lighter.

You'll be able to tell better as they feather. They should start getting them in around 3 1/2-4 weeks old. keep us updated!

9. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    Scovies possibley?

10. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    1 looks like khaki,I think number 2 is a saxony, the rest look like crosses

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by