Any idea on gender

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Southernchickens, Aug 23, 2010.

1. Southernchickens

Southernchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These are supposed to be a male/female pair. One is darker in color and is slightly larger than the other. Does anyone know what gender they are? I was told that the darker one was the male.

2. turkeygirl

turkeygirl Out Of The Brooder

Jul 15, 2010
    Im really new to turkeys so dont count on it, but I would say the darker one looks more like a male to me but I think its to early to know for sure, how old are they? In a couple/few weeks you should be able to tell:) They are beautiful!!

3. Southernchickens

Jun 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    I just got them Saturday so I have no idea about age. I dont even know what kind they are yet.

4. Southernchickens

Jun 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    Antbody else have any ideas

5. boxermom

boxermom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Spencer,IA
    They look like bourbon reds to me. I'd say around 3 mo old by coloring. Can't tell by size in the pic. I'm just comparing them to what my poults look like. I can't tell gender on my poults yet either. I'm starting to see the black edging on my older poults which signifies male, (thanks Steve [​IMG] ) but not yet on my younger ones.

6. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    The darker one looks like a bourbon red, but the lighter one seems too pale...perhaps a palm gene hidden in its background? Or maybe the photo is a little washed out? I'd guess the age at about 8 weeks. From those photos, I couldn't guess the sex. The darker one may be developing some larger caruncles near the base of the neck. In three more weeks it should be easier to tell the sex.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  7. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    I'm new to turkeys, but they are both MUCH lighter than my BRs.

8. Lagerdogger

Lagerdogger Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2010
    Aitkin, MN
    I'm new to turkeys, but they are both MUCH lighter than my BRs.

Bourbon reds start out fairly pale and gradually darken as they age. This year's group is about 15 weeks old, and still getting darker.​

9. Southernchickens

Jun 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    The person who I got them from has some older adult ones and they are the same color as these are

10. SaraF

SaraF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 10, 2010
    Ohio
    Both females by what I can tell. Note feminine head, small snood and no apperance of caruncles (bumps on head and start on lower throat) by the look at how big they are, they compare with my Royal Palms, and a male should have his caruncles coming in. and have a larger wattle than the female. I would go ahead and assume both females, but give them another week or too, see if u notice a reder head on one with the wattle larging out more and that "brain" apperance to show on the lower throat.

I had one Royal Palm, thought it was a male for the longest time, and its a noticeable female [​IMG] opps haha. some are late bloomers so give it time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by