Any idea on gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CraftyFran3, Apr 7, 2012.

1. CraftyFran3

CraftyFran3 New Egg

Apr 7, 2012
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The top pic is this past Wednesday and the bottom is the Wednes. before.

These sweet babies are our newest addition to our family[​IMG]!I asked for females and wanted a RIR and a Dominique female. I'm starting to think my Dom may be male. Don't have the chicken lingo down yet..sorry for that!lol Does anyone have a good idea of gender? Also,(in case she is a he) when would "he" start to crow? They are nearly 2 weeks old and we love them to pieces but we can't have a male in city limits. Any info. anybody has will be greatly appreciated. Also, I'm new here so...hello! And I hope I put this in the correct area...[​IMG]

2. americanvalkyrie

americanvalkyrie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2011
    Reno, NV
    They're still so little! At that age, though, the rooster behavior started coming out for me. They would charge the front of the cage when I opened it, and were a whole lot bolder. If there was a disturbance (like my hand,) the roosters are at the front while the pullets cower in the back.

You'll have a few months to tell, though. I don't know when Dominiques start crowing. My Delaware roo, though, presented as a roo at 4 months, and I culled him before he could even crow once. But remembering his behavior, he was acting roo-ish at 2 weeks.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 7, 2012
  3. bwalden

bwalden Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jan 16, 2012
    Arkansas
    Bit too early to really tell if it's a cockerel. If it turns out to be one it won't crow for some time, although difficult to say when it would because they all start at different times. But after they are a few months old no doubt.

4. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    The Dominique is a pullet (female). It's too early to tell on the red chick.

5. CraftyFran3

CraftyFran3 New Egg

Apr 7, 2012
    Thank you everyone for your input! I really hope they are both female [​IMG] we just love them to pieces and would hate to have to send one away! My Dom does not display what americanvalkyrie was talking about...the bolder behavior...not any more than our RIR anyway. When I stick my hand inside their box they try to run and hide behind each other...one pushes the other out of the corner and it becomes a shoving match over who will hide behind who. lol!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by