Any idea on the breed and sexes?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by serenityfarms1, Jan 31, 2016.

1. serenityfarms1

serenityfarms1 New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    We've got a bit of a conundrum here at home with our chickens. By looking at them, it appears to clearly be a rooster and a hen. However, in actions - the "hen" acts strange. For example:
    - She crows like a rooster - though it's more like a loud "coo-coo", and not as powerful as the rooster's.
    - She never submits to the rooster, while the other hen's do. She ALWAYS fights back and stands her ground. In fact, she's tried to mount the rooster and that makes him jump a mile!
    - She mounts the other hens quite aggressively
    - To top it all off, she IS a layer. Her eggs are less frequent and smaller, but they do come.

Has anyone heard of or seen this before?? This was our first rooster, so we were getting used to that when this hen started acting strange - they were chicks together. He is a protective rooster and definitely keeps the other hens in line, except this one.

I've attached a picture of them - they are bug, black birds with blue/black sheen. They appear to be male/female, but are they two roosters?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!!

-Mike

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Those are both roosters. I suspect the one you thought was a hen is an Easter Egger or maybe an Ameraucana depending on if you got him from a breeder. The other is probably either a jersey giant or a black australorp. You can check the color of the bottom of his feet to tell which.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They are both definitely males. The one on the left is a mixed breed (possibly an Easter Egger if it carries the blue egg gene). The one on the right looks to be a Black Australorp. It could also be a Black Jersey Giant but only if the bottoms of its feet are an obvious yellow.

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    LOL! We were posting at the same time. I guess great minds think alike. :eek:)

5. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop

LOL, we did post at the same time. Teamwork! :p

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Michael & Pyxis

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

those birds are both males. Neither one is laying eggs at all.

8. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Both are male. They have different comb types, one has a pea comb, the other a single comb. But they both have the same male specific feathering.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed

10. serenityfarms1

serenityfarms1 New Egg

Jan 31, 2016
    Thanks guys!! We noticed different colored eggs from our Easter Egger and were hoping that we had two layers. Apparently not. Two roosters explains quite a lot - thank you do much for setting us straight, guess we'll learn twice as much about roosters now [​IMG]

Take care,

-Mike

Last edited: Jan 31, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by