Any idea on the breed/mix?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by pepparaaraa, Oct 5, 2015.

1. pepparaaraa

pepparaaraa Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2015
    London, UK
    I posted a picture checking these were both pullets before but never got to the bottom of what my 'speckled sussex' really are... Any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    did you ever get an answer?

3. laurianne

laurianne Out Of The Brooder

Looks like 1 hen and 1 rooster to me.
    In the top picture the one on the left I say is a hen and the other a rooster.

4. chicklover 1998

chicklover 1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2015
    Oskaloosa,Ia
    Thats what I was thinking but I have no clue on the breed mix, def. speckled sussex but no clue on what else could be in there.

5. pepparaaraa

May 4, 2015
    London, UK
    Pretty sure both hens, have on rare occasions had 2 white eggs out of them. But they are rubbish at laying! One of them is okay but one has literally laid a handful of eggs in 6 months.
    Neither crowing!
    If it wasn't for our red star we would be pretty eggless most of the time here!
    I'm just not sure on their age either. The one with the big comb has changed already and become more white on her neck. I didn't think they were supposed to moult in their first year so confused as they were supposedly 15 weeks when I got them.
    They are so timid they won't come near me, they run to the front when I'm going in then scarper as they realise they've got too close! They see me pick the red star up and everything but I don't like to stress them by trying to catch them, so I dont. I just leave them be and so they arent the best pets, but as they don't peck me or anything and the kids can go in I'm ok with it, could be worse!
    Oh and we had a rooster and he was notably bigger than our hens and his legs were thick... This bird that looks like a Roo has the skinniest little legs ever!!
    But no, no answer on the breed mix unfortunately.

6. dan26552

dan26552 True BYC Addict

Oct 28, 2014
    Waiting for epicness.
    My Coop
    To me they look like speckled sussex leghorn crosses.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Both pullets; they are mixed breeds possibly w/ Leghorn and/or Speckled Sussex background, like dan26552 said.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

9. pepparaaraa

May 4, 2015
    London, UK
    Thanks, as said they are pretty rubbish layers, are these breeds not fab layers??

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  10. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    It's possible they are older than was advertised. Sussex are decent layers, and Leghorns are excellent layers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by