any idea on the breed of this little roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by OrpingtonManor, May 9, 2011.

1. OrpingtonManor

OrpingtonManor Building the Castle

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    He is 3 1/2 weeks old. He hatched out of a dark brown egg. The hatching eggs came from a mixed flock of marans, barnevelders, welsummers, pendensencas, orps, delaware, andalusian, buttercup, wyandottes, rocks, lots of ameraucanas, lots of easter eggers & olive eggers. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and one of him on the back of his adoptive Barnie mama a couple weeks ago...
    [​IMG]

and while you're guessing, how about this little guy....
    I'm guessing EE x Blue Andalusian
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

The first one looks like he's part Delaware due to the areas of barring and the white.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I second Speckledhen, part Delaware or Columbian Rock perhaps.

4. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    and he's a big 'un!! legs like tree trunks already.

so, do delawares lay really dark eggs? it was a dark terra cotta.

I'll have to look up Columbian Rocks.

5. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    That first one looks to me to be a Delaware EE. The other, you got Blue in there for sure, but what color Ameraucanas do you have? That might make a difference. It doesn't look to be built like an Andalusian.

6. OrpingtonManor

Nov 15, 2008
    Martinez, CA
    The reason I guessed Andalusian x EE for the second one is because I looked at the breed pages for Andalusian, and the blue Andalusian chick looked just like it, with the same exact body colors and brown markings on the head. What size would it be if it was Andalusian?

It is definitely an EE cross, though. It is going to have muffs and beard. I don't have the Ameraucanas. The eggs were bought from a lady who has all the breeds I listed. The black roo in the pic with the second bird is from an EE who lays green eggs, and crossed with a John Blehm Black Am roo. Both of them have really fuzzy cheeks, so will be bearded.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Most Dels lay peachy tan eggs. I have one hen who does lay a very dark egg, yes. Her mother laid an almost Marans-dark egg, I'm told.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by