1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any idea on the breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Apyl, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I have identified most of my chickens but I do have 1 that just doesn't seem to match up to what its suppose to be. This little guy came from the Fry Pan bargain from Meyer hatchery, he's suppose to be a "he" lol but the comb is minimal and it is so small. He feathered out fast like the girls but just isnt growing very fast. Here are some pics. He is now 5 1/2 weeks old and these pics were taken this morning. thank you.

Its the white one in this pic - he is all bright white, but is a little dirty so the pics make him looks dingy.
    [​IMG]

Here he is next to a white silkie thats 5 1/2 weeks old, the silkies is actually a little bigger that him.
    [​IMG]

Top view, notice the comb is very small and not pink at all
    [​IMG]

Another front view, he has grey legs and feet
    [​IMG]

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    (s)he has willow shanks. I know white Jersey Giant's have willow shanks and so do white Ameraucanas. It doesn't have a pea comb like a Ameraucana. And Jersey Giants have single combs. So maybe it is a Jersey Giant? What color are the pads under the feet?

3. Apyl

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi

Ok, I just went outside and chased him/her all over lol. It has tan/light yellow bottoms to its feet.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    if it is a white giant, they grow sssslllloooowww.

5. Apyl

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Does the comb grow super slow too or could it possibly be a female?

6. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Actually sometimes it depends on how much access to food they have. My (black) Jersey Giant grew up with 2 BO's, and he grew really fast. Since he was a rooster (and hens don't pick on roos) he grew up faster. He hogged all the food and wouldn't let them eat as much. Now he just turned 1 on March 10th and he's about 9-11lbs. A good weight. And you are right ramierzframing, they do take forever. The won't reach their maximum size till 2 years.

7. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    I think it's possibly a pullet, this is my JG cockerel at about 6-7 weeks. (the black one) And those are BO pullets next to him,
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  8. Apyl

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi

Wow 2 years? lol well I guess he'll just have to hang out until then.I'm surprised Meyer would include such a slow growing chicken in their fry pan bargain considering they are being bought as meat birds. I provide food and water 24/7 for all the chicks.
    So how long before we can determine if he is a she or if he is still a he?

9. Apyl

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi

Great looking chickens :) Disregard the other post lol I asked about it being a girl. So with my guy/girl being 5 1/2 weeks old he/she should have a comb by now if it were a boy, well if he is really a she lol looks like her life has just been extended lol. I plan to keep all the females.

10. Apyl

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    Ok so another question then lol sorry. So if she is a pullet will she lay later since she grows slower or will she lay around the same time as the others? Just curious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by