Any idea what breed or gender our chickens are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kittkatzi, Nov 16, 2013.

1. kittkatzi

kittkatzi New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    We rescued these guys from being sent to Henny Penny, and have had them for about 2-3 months now. There's 3 white ones and 3 brown/red ones, and we're in NSW, Australia, if that makes a difference. Here's a pic of them all in their hutch.
    [​IMG]
    Here's a closer up picture of one of our white ones:
    [​IMG]
    One of our red ones:
    [​IMG]
    Another shot of them all, which shows our biggest white one towards the back:
    [​IMG]
    And a bonus shot of their first outing from the hutch/coop when they decided to go up a tree:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  2. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Whites are boys and browns are girls (i think). I think they are the common Ginger ones and their boys are white.

3. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    See lohman boys are like this:
    [​IMG]
    and lohman girls are like this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Well actually I am pretty sure of what I have posted after looking at the pics again :)

5. kittkatzi

kittkatzi New Egg

Nov 16, 2013
    Having looked at your pictures and googling them, I think you might be right. We didn't even want one rooster, let alone three!

6. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    You will have to rehome a couple or get more hens. All 3 could live happily together with more girls but if there is 3 roosters to 3 hens it wont go down well for the hens or the cockerels!

7. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    I agree the white ones are boys and the reds are girls. They look like Red Sexlinks.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Yep, whatever brand name your red sex links get sold as in NSW. White birds are males, red birds are females.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by