Any idea what breed these Ducklings are ?? sorry picture overload

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by joandlily, Dec 16, 2009.

1. joandlily

joandlily New Egg

Dec 16, 2009
    Hi there,

I have been lurking here for a few weeks and I have really enjoyed seeing and reading about everyones ducks. I was hoping that some of you knowledgeable people would be able to give some sort of idea what my 2 ducklings are. When we brought them on Nov. 22nd they were in a large pen with Pekin ducklings and we were told by the guy that they were 3 day old khaki Campbells, but they just don't look like that to me. Here are the photos of them the day we got them. The one with the spotted beak is called "Puddles" and other which is smaller in size is called "Little Peepers"
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I[MG]http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd12/joandlily/100_1200.jpg[/IMG]

and here are some photo's I took of them this morning.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Puddles" we think could be a female because she/he has been making a quacking sound for the past month. She also has emerald green feathers starting to come out on her head and tips of her wings.

Sorry this is such a long post but I really would love our thoughts.

2. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Little Peepers looks like a Black Swedish right now. He/she looks just like my Ebony (male) I swore Ebony was a BS the entire time he was little now at 24 weeks I don't know. Here is pics of him growing up:
    When I first got him (about 3 weeks old)
    [​IMG]
    5 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    8 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    9 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    How he looks now this was taken at about 20-22 weeks old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You can see my other duck Cocoa in some of the pics she is 2 weeks younger.

3. joandlily

joandlily New Egg

Dec 16, 2009
    Thank you for showing me the photos of Ebony and Coco. My Little Peepers does look like your boy when he was younger, he is starting to get a green tinge to his beak...I wonder if he will look like yours when he is older. Do you know what breed he is ? you said you were told he was a Black Swedish is that how the males look once they grow up?
    Sorry for all the odd questions I am a newbe when it comes to Ducks [​IMG]

4. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    Black Swedish was my best guess to what my Ebony was when I first got him and from help of fellow BYC members. Now I think he is a mix but I just can't figure out with what. Ebony had the same brown fuzz feathers then got in the black just like your Little Peepers.

Black Swedish should be all black with a white bib and green sheen on there feathers. You can look them up. A black swedish is actualy a blue swedish but since the blue gene is unstable you get black,blue, and slash swedish from them. So when you look up black swedish you will get info on blue swedish too.

A friend of mine bought these two ducks out of a back of a truck from a person selling ducklings. They didn't ask how old the ducklings were or what breed, nothing. They couldn't keep them at there house so they asked me to take care of them until they could build something for them to stay in. Well a week went by and the food they gave me to feed there ducklings was all gone. I asked them to buy more feed and they gave me hotdog buns and tomatoes to feed them. [​IMG] After that week the two ducks were my ducks. So I don't really know what either one of them is, just guessing.

I couldn't tell my ducks apart male from female until Cocoa's quack got real strong at about 10 weeks old. Ebony got his drake feather (little curled feather on his bottom) when he was about 14 weeks old.

5. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    I say a black swedish and a magpie

6. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Id say magpie or magpie cross and black swede... or it could be a cayuga cross.... hmmmm...

Oh - newchickmom - Ive seen a bunch of black swedes that turn out to have a green head but none quite as extravagant as yours. Could be a mallard crossed with black swede??

7. newchickmom09

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    It will be easier to tell once they start getting in there adult feathers, waiting for that just stinks. [​IMG]

Maybe your puddles is a magpie/black swedish cross and your Little Peepers is a black swedish. [​IMG] Those would be my best guesses for you for right now. [​IMG]

8. joandlily

joandlily New Egg

Dec 16, 2009
    Thank you so much for your guesses [​IMG]. It really is quite exciting watching them grow and develop. With my Puddles if she was a Magpie/Black Swedish is it normal for them to have green feathers on their head and wings??

9. priss

priss Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Isle of Wight
    I don't have any idea about breeds but I'm jus writin cos everytime I read your apology for the picture overload it makes me laugh. Looool, is there such thing as too many duckling pictures? I've never managed to reach my limit for them. [​IMG]
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    ps
    They are very, very fluffy and cute x

10. janastasio

janastasio Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I think the really spotty looking one looks like an Ancona. Anconas are a magpie/runner cross. Regardless, they are adorable!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by