Any idea what breed they are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by HeatherB, Nov 21, 2010.

1. HeatherB

HeatherB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Ellsworth Twp, OH
    I got these guys from a livestock auction at the very beginning of August. They were supposedly two weeks old then, making them about 17 weeks now. I thought the auctioneer said guineas, wanted a few... however, what he'd said was banties! Two girls, three boys.

The boys seem to have different combs... the pullets have no combs. Are they mutts? The pullets are almost identical to one another. And the pullets and one cockerel, George, are easily as big as my red hens, so I can't imagine that they're really bantams, but the other two cockerels are only about 1/3 of their size. The boys are fairly friendly and laid back, and Little Mr. Poopy Butt graciously puts up with having his backside washed in the bathroom sink once or twice a week, but the girls have a mean streak.

George:

[​IMG]

Chook:

[​IMG]

Little Mr. Poopy Butt:

[​IMG]

Scratch:

[​IMG]

Foggy:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010
  2. roocrazy

roocrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2009
    minnesota!!!!
    it looks like a good project [​IMG]

3. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    look berchin in color ??? on the breed-mix

4. TheFeatheredTempest

TheFeatheredTempest Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2010
    NW Illinois
    Game bird mixes, as in old english game bird, maybe?

5. banjoejoe4783

banjoejoe4783 VILLAMIL FARMS

Oct 6, 2010
    westville ok
    OEGB have singale combs the 3 roos 1 has pea 2 has singal 3 has rosse not pure OEGB maybe mix to clarifi OEGB is( old english game bantam )

6. HeatherB

HeatherB Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2010
    Ellsworth Twp, OH
    Okay! I pulled up pictures of the birchen old english, and they definitely do look like that! The different combs are a little confusing, as well as the size disparity -- three birds that are basically standard size, and two that seem to be banty size.. so something else was mixed in, I guess, or they were hatch-mates but not necessarily siblings. [​IMG]

George gets prettier every time I look at him... I can't wait to see what he looks like full grown [​IMG] His comb isn't very clear in the photo, but it's the same as Mr. PB's -- the only straight comb is on Chook.

Thanks for your help! I've been wondering about this since they came home with me! Sort of hoped it would be come obvious and immediately recognizable as they got bigger [​IMG]

7. V Comb

V Comb Chillin' With My Peeps

Iowa Blues?

8. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    Barnyard mix [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by