Any idea what breed????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jenni22776rn, Sep 13, 2011.

1. jenni22776rn

jenni22776rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    I have 3 of these ladies...bought then from TSC this spring...they are the sweetest most docile breed but can figure out what breed they are...thought sex links but no..any ideas?
    [​IMG]
    This is Little Miss Gabbie..vert sweet!!! Great layers and would like to get a few more next spring!!

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    She looks like a BSL... I don't think TSC would have Black Copper Marans.

Why do you say no BSL?

3. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    I don't think they are BSL either...I have 2 of those....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

this one doesn't look like either of mine..

can you post a few side shots? Age?

4. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    what color eggs?

5. jenni22776rn

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    They lay large brown eggs...I thought the bin said BSL and thought they were until I was looking at other BSL and they don't look like them..someone told me mabye black stars...they are large and very docile and sweet...wharever the breed I would like to get some more next spring for sure!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a few months back..I will try to get some pictures of all of them now...they do not have any gold in them at all more of a gray/silver feathering only on thier chest..and the combs all flop like that...I just can not find any pictures that look like them...

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    BSL.

Sorry but just because she doesn't look like someone else's doesn't mean she isn't. The definition of a Black Sex-Link is a bird who's parents are a barred female and non-barred male, meaning the male could carry silver genes, and thus, the female is silver and black instead of gold and black.

I've had a BSL that looked just like yours once. [​IMG]

7. jenni22776rn

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    Quote:[​IMG] Thanks for explaining that.I ave been unable to find very much regarding the breed..I am newer to the chicken world and these were my first purchase for my flock...I had never even heard of sex linked before and was unsure of their story...they are wonderful hens great layers and I will be looking for them next spring...Can you purchase them through most hatcheries? How was your BSL?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2011
  8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yes, I've yet to see a big name hatchery that doesn't sell Sex-Link hens. They're the top seller especially among egg farms, since they are the most reliable layers on their first year.

My BSL was quiet, mostly kept to herself. Well, the silver one was. My gold one was MEAN and scary!! This was years ago, but golly, she put bloody holes in your feet if you were nearby, and would chase. . . Oh she loved chasing people.

Don't let that scare ya though! [​IMG]

9. jenni22776rn

Mar 6, 2011
    Central Maine
    Quote:[​IMG] YIKES!! lol!! I am thankful that mine are very docile..thank goodness because I also purchased 3 white leghorns...and they are a nightmare!! Flighty...mean to the other hens and are the first to jump to get whatever you have in your hand...and bite it...even if it is just your fingers!! lol!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by