Any idea what breeds she may have in her?

pipsmom

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 30, 2011
MA
I know she is a mutt. My daughter hatched her from eggs she got at the barn where she keeps her horse. I think she is really pretty and just wondering what she may be. She lays large light brown eggs. Can be broody. Anyone have any ideas?
94052_img_7721_2.jpg

94052_img_7681_2.jpg

She is 2 1/2 yrs old now. Has always been a good egg layer but stopped laying on Sept 8th. Long story short. She was with one other hen who was about 8 yrs old. Unfortunately her friend died the end of July. I had 4 new chicks(2 BA's and 2 Golden Comets) that were ready to be introduced to the coop shortly after that time. It's kind of strange because the last egg she laid was on 9/8/11 which happened to be the first time one of the new ones laid her first egg. I don't see any signs of molting so not sure why she stopped laying. She was very upset when her best friend wasn't there anymore. She seems to be getting attached to one of the new ones though. She almost seems to have pheasant coloring. It would just be interesting to figure out what breeds she may have come from.

I think she is standard size but I wondered about her maybe being half bantam? There was a OEG rooster that I wondered if he was her father. She isn't huge but seems normal size to me. There was also a Wyandotte hen that I wondered if she was her mom.

I'm gonna guess she's got Orpington or another Buff colored breed 2 generations back. . . That color is very reminiscent to crossing Buff x Black. The head and shank color say something else in there too though.

I look at the head and thing OEG right away. As for the rest of her, that coloring on her back half looks a lot like either Welsummer or Brown Leghorn. Anything beyond that, I could tell you. Brown eggs though, right?

Yes definitely large if not extra large light brown eggs. And there was an OEG rooster in the coop.There was also a really mean BO rooster that was dominant over the others. From all I know either parent could have been a mutt too.

Back
Top Bottom