Any idea what breeds?

CORick

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 19, 2015
Colorado Springs, CO

The girls are about 10 weeks old. I bought them at Big R which I think is a Big M(istake). They didn't have them by breed but here in Colorado Springs I didn't have a lot of choice so I rolled the dice and now I have no idea what these two are. I was hoping for Australorps and maybe Orpingtons or a Barred Rock. The black ones looked like they may have been Rocks at a day old but obviously I was wrong. The other looked like it was possibly an Orpington but wrong again. I have looked at a couple of books but am stumped. I have 2 of each of these and a few Americanas. Hoping for good layers at least.

The first looks like a black sex link and the second is probably a production red of some description. They should both be good egg layers for you.

Thanks for the answer. That's what I was starting to think. Not what I originally wanted but so far they have great dispositions and yes they should be good layers. I was reading last night though that the production reds can have some health issues. Guess I'll keep my fingers crossed on that.

welcome-byc.gif

Looks like you have two sex-link chickens, on Black sex-link pullet and the other a Red sex-link pullet, they are hybrids that bred for the ability to be able to sex at birth (great egg layers).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom