Any idea what color these baby calls will be?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by destin0709, Aug 4, 2011.

1. destin0709

destin0709 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Ohio
    Can anyone tell what color these calls will be? The colors listed where I bought them from were: pure whites, snowy, magpie, bibbed, grey, and sometimes a buff. I have 5 calls in question because I know the other 3 are chocolates. Sorry I took their picture after they got done eating so they have food on them. 8 very messy eaters. LOL
    There are 3 yellow, 1 with some black tips on its tail and some on its head/back area. I am thinking the yellow ones maybe whites and the other one maybe a snowy?

[​IMG]

And then there is a black and yellow and a mallard looking one I am guessing a magpie and a gray? Anyone else know. Or is it still too soon to tell? Thanks

[​IMG]

2. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Yes in the first photo the one on the top with greyish head is snowy here are mine

[​IMG]

the other 2 with him are whites

3. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    that white duckling in the middle of the snowy and other white is going to be a nice bird. looks like hes got nice small size and beak

4. destin0709

Jun 20, 2011
    Ohio
    Yes she has the short beak and very round head the only 1 out of the bunch. I was hoping for a snowy so I'm glad someone else thinks a snowy and I think it's a boy. They are still hard to tell but I can tell 3 for sure. The mallard looking and other bigger yellow one are boys too. Yours are lil cuties too.

5. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Oh no no you wont be able to tell sex for a much longer!!!! calls are extremely hard, only once they feather up and start squeking regularly can you decide their gender. Goodluck with hens!

6. destin0709

Jun 20, 2011
    Ohio
    So you can't tell by vent sexing them yet? I know it took months before I could tell with my older white ones. I have one very loud honking one and 3 raspy ones.

7. ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack

ShuckyDuckyQuackQuack Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    TX
    Adorable

8. jbourget

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    Nope, they are so tiny that you would only end up hurting them by vent sex. Anyway their voices will change i had ones i thought for sure would be hens but ended up being drakes. Its when they are juveniles their voices come in

9. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Quote:

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2011
  10. destin0709

Jun 20, 2011
    Ohio
    Well hopefully the yellows get some more feathers soon. I already have whites so was hoping for some other colors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by