Any idea what gender?

Chicken.Owner.13

Chirping
Aug 20, 2017
I got this baby on the 7th of March. I did some old wives talked tests and it appears to be a girl. However, Someone said yesterday that it might be a rooster. I’m not sure if you’ll be able to tell yet being that she is only about 2 weeks old. Any help is appreciated. I’m not sure what breed she is- she was hatched in a classroom. I’m thinking a black Orpington but not sure (ideas on breed are also welcome). Thanks all! Attached is a picture of the wing and comb and one of the chick just standing.

Attachments

• 2AC431B2-A950-4EE4-9F3A-6C4D928DFBC0.jpeg
    2AC431B2-A950-4EE4-9F3A-6C4D928DFBC0.jpeg
    676.6 KB · Views: 17
  • EF1889DA-D760-4047-8351-A8E4E13CA3A5.jpeg
    EF1889DA-D760-4047-8351-A8E4E13CA3A5.jpeg
    377.1 KB · Views: 16
  • A6529870-1623-4997-BD05-1A1E760C7A4F.jpeg
    A6529870-1623-4997-BD05-1A1E760C7A4F.jpeg
    490.9 KB · Views: 15
It's too young to tell.

Despite what youtube would have you believe, wing-feather growth as a means of sexing only works in certain breeds/crossbreeds. Post again in six weeks and we might be able to tell you something.

No idea what breed, but a cute chick, all the same!
Ok thank you so much! I’m hoping for a hen for now!!

Too young to be sure of gender, but it is often possible to tell a single combed chick at three weeks +
I have a six week old chick at the moment who was identifiable as a male at three weeks. Two weeks, I'm my experience, is too young. However, if forced to choose right now, I would go with roo. That comb is already quite large for the age and looking a solid yellow colour, whereas pullet chick combs tend to be more pale/translucent looking. I'd like to see the chick in another week or two.

It's too young to tell.

Despite what youtube would have you believe, wing-feather growth as a means of sexing only works in certain breeds/crossbreeds. Post again in six weeks and we might be able to tell you something.

No idea what breed, but a cute chick, all the same!

Agreed. Wing sexing can only be done when the parents have the correct genetics. The mother must be pure for slow feathering and rooster for fast.

She's adorable, please post pictures in a few more weeks!

Too young to be sure of gender, but it is often possible to tell a single combed chick at three weeks +
I have a six week old chick at the moment who was identifiable as a male at three weeks. Two weeks, I'm my experience, is too young. However, if forced to choose right now, I would go with roo. That comb is already quite large for the age and looking a solid yellow colour, whereas pullet chick combs tend to be more pale/translucent looking. I'd like to see the chick in another week or two.
Will do thanks!

Back
Top Bottom