Any idea what his Grandparents are?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jake1297, Jul 30, 2011.

1. Jake1297

Jake1297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    This picture is of my Roo Lucky. Because he was the only one that hatched out of nine. Anyway, dad is a Cochin, mom is a Bard Rock. He has strong tints of blue on his tail feathers and wings. Like his dad he has feathered feet. I'm thinking maybe his grandparents were Ameraucana?[​IMG]

2. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Are you sure that the mom was a Barred Rock?
    If mom was a Barred Rock then he would be Barred. Barring is a Sex-link gene, if mom is Barred she passes Barring to here son if dad was barred all offspring are Barred.

What color was the dad?
    Do you have a picture of the dad and mom?

Chris

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  3. NicoleRM

NicoleRM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2007
    Williston, FL
    Furthermore, if you know what breed the parents are, how could the grandparents be other breeds?

4. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    I agree with both posters above.... If Mother was Barred the son should be as well.... and the parents/ grandparents post

5. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    He sure is cute with his "coat of many colors" as dolly used to sing about.

6. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    If the parents are a Cochin and a Barred Rock, then why would you think the grandparents would be Ameraucanas? If so, the parents would be mixes and so there is no telling what babies would look like.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

His mom cannot be a Barred Rock. He would have barring since that is a sex linked trait and moms pass it to their sons. He's cute, though.

8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    maybe the mom was some kind of laced or penciled hen...? i see some type of lacing in him... was she blue laced...?

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I can see the lacing on his chest, too. Mom could have been a Plymouth Rock, just not a barred one.

10. Jake1297

Jake1297 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    Western Maine
    Thanks for your replies. I have only Rhode Island Red and Bard Rock Hens. Maybe then the mother is a RR? Has to be one or the other. Isn't Plymouth Rock the same as Bard Rock?

Here is a picture of his dad.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by