Any idea what is wrong with my ducks feet??? Pictures

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jack & mommy's duckies, Jan 8, 2011.

1. jack & mommy's duckies

jack & mommy's duckies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2010
    This morning when I let everyone out, about an hour after I noticed that my one little call duck wasn't walking right and kinda shaking. I went right out and picked her up. Her nostrils were frozen shut and she was breathing mostly through her mouth, and her feet had these little corn blister looking things. I brought her right in and wrapped her in a towel until she warmed some then put her in the tub with warm water and peas. She was making loud breathing sounds but after about an hour inside that seems to be gone. And here feet still look odd to me. I posted pictures below. She was fine yesterday well atleast not enough to notice anything wrong with her. The spots are not wet or oozing....no reason I would think that they are infected. Not red not hot.

Their house is not heated but it does get nice and warm in there. I lay new straw every other day so to keep down on the poop. I checked everyone else and they all seem fine. Their outside area is also has lots of little houses filled with straw and their run area is full of straw to keep them off the frozen ground.

Now she is resting inside with a buddy some warm water and food.

Todays weather Ontario Canada. -8...with wind chill -13. snowing mildly less then 1" total on the ground.

Ideas or suggestions please

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm not positive, but it looks like bumblefoot to me. [​IMG] Someone with more experience should come by soon.

3. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    All of my Call ducks ( and other ducks too) have those. I'm not sure what they are but it doesn't seem to hurt them [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Looks like early bumblefoot, possibly, as well as the beginnings of some respiratory problems. She may just be cold-stressed. Sounds like you are doing the right thing for now - keep her warm, well fed, dry, plenty of water. I always like to make sure any sickies have a buddy with them, too.

I treat early bumblefoot with triple-antibiotic ointment. My routine is, morning and evening, clean off the foot (H2O2, betadine, similar), then slather ointment on the bumble. If possible, use a booty or baby sock to try to keep the ointment on as long as possible. Some ducks shake these of quickly, but the longer the ointment can stay on the better. It takes weeks for it to clear up, but it has always cleared up for us, and it is less risky, less painful than cutting it open.

I would be sure to give vitamins and electrolytes to boost her immune system. Listen and watch closely for signs that the respiratory problem is not going away - if you can, a trip to the vet and some antibiotics may be helpful. We all have different situations, I respect that. If the duck needs antibiotics, there are ways to get ahold of them. I prefer a vet's input as to what is the correct type for the problem, as well as dosage recommendations.

Someone online here can probably fill you in on that as well.

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    That's bumblefoot and believe me, it DOES hurt them. If you don't treat it, Bumblefoot can go systemic and it can kill them. Its better to treat it while its in the beginning stage before it gets too bad.

Laurie

6. jack & mommy's duckies

Jan 24, 2010
    Hey everyone thanks for the thoughts. after some quiet time inside the call duck seems fine. Her nose I think she just had some frozen water or snot in it. after her bath and quiet time she is breathing fine and I'm not worried there but trust me I'll watch closely.

As for her feet. it is a toss up between bumblefoot or just dry...something spots. I put polysporin on them and wrapped them with gauze (sorry no vet tape on hand...but will be adding to my kit next week) and she is going to stay in. I thought if it is bumble the polysporin will help and it is dry or something it won't hurt it either. And really who doesn't love a little tlc... [​IMG] I'd love someone to rub something on my feet and say just hang out there say quiet I'll bring you everything your heart desiers. Just quack if you need me...lol

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    jack & mommy's duckies,

Yes, I think you've got the right approach!!

Bumblefoot starts small, but I am told it can get very ugly and life-threatening. The polysporin will probably do the trick. It takes a while, but should work.

TLC is a major ingredient for keeping critters well, IMO.

May you and your ducks be blessed.

ETA:

Do the ducks have water deep enough to wash their heads in? That can prevent their sinuses from getting clogged.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2011
  8. jack & mommy's duckies

Jan 24, 2010
    Yes they do have a deep water dish. Some times some of the smaller ducks have to "wait" for their turn and I know she was nibbling a bit of snow before I noticed her.

Yes TLC...everyone needs tlc [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by