Any idea what these are?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by otterbrook, Jul 7, 2008.

1. otterbrook

otterbrook Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2008
    A friend just dropped off some extra chicks she received mail order (she ordered 20, got more than 50!!!). We've identified all but two of the breeds. Any idea what these two mystery breed are?

This photo shows two chicks of the same mystery breed. Note the little nubbin right over their beaks.
    [​IMG]

And here is my little mystery #2. We only have one of this breed, and she is somewhat camera shy. She is the one in the center back with the black and white markings. She reminds me of a tabby cat.
    [​IMG]

Here is a closeup of mystery chick #2. Note her unusually large eyes. She has a very distinctive peep.

[​IMG]

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Are they TURKEYS???:| or maybe Guineas??? I'm pretty sure they are NOT chickens..... course, I could be wrong [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  3. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes those are turkey poults, cute!

4. otterbrook

Mar 20, 2008
    Seriously??? All of them? OMG....

5. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Just the mystery birds [​IMG] The ones with the little nodules on the head [​IMG]

6. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Yep, them are turkeys!!

7. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    Yep, you have some baby bronze turkeys. I can't tell you if they're the broad breasted variety or not because they're only about a week old, judging from the photo. Here's a photo of mine for comparison (various colors)...

[​IMG]

8. otterbrook

Mar 20, 2008
    Yes - they are about a week old.... Turkeys huh? That is absolutely hysterical!!!! [​IMG]

So any idea what mystery chick #2 is? (I am almost afraid to ask)

9. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    It's a turkey, too. You can tell turkey poults from chicks from the little bump on their head right behind the beak (it's called a "snood"). No other form of domestic poultry has it. #2 Has the typical markings that indicate it will be wild colored. #1 may end up being bronze.

Don't fret about having turkeys unless you don't have a lot of room for big birds. You'll find that they're very smart and are more entertaining that chickens. I love mine!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2008
  10. bumblebeehillschickenfarm

bumblebeehillschickenfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    maryland
    2nd poult is an narragansett very smart birds and very friendly if you hold them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by