Any idea what they are mixed with and/or what is up with their hair??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kara_leigh, Jun 27, 2011.

1. kara_leigh

kara_leigh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    I got these two chickens a few weeks ago. The guy told me they were Ameraucana mixes. Recently they have both grown quite impressive hairdo's. Is it just a quirk, or could they be mixed with something like a Polish or something along those lines? They are 6 weeks old. Oh, and if you have any guesses on if they are boys are girls, I would appreciate it. Thanks!!

Chick one: This one has 5 toes
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick two:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thanks!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  2. Courtney134

Courtney134 Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    No help on gender.. but those are the cutest things I have ever seen.. I love them!!

ETA: I really want that first pic as my wallpaper.. haha

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Quote:Feel free, I don't care. [​IMG]

4. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    OMGosh....I LOVE both of them but dang, that first one I would love to own!!!!! Wish I could help you ID them but [​IMG]

5. smsabean

smsabean Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2009
    Could well have some Polish in them. We have a half Polish with a hairdo about like that. The five toes may suggest some Salmon Faverolli in the background. (or silkie LOL)

6. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

They look exactly like my three that are half Ameraucana and half Polish did at that age. I don't have any good pictures of them at that age. I have one from when she was about 2 months old.

She's the one in the middle.
    [​IMG]

7. andalusn

andalusn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Ridgefield, WA
    It's hard to say, I have my own mystery that I can't solve. I have Brabanter chickens and their doo is supposed to face forward and I appear to have hatched a Brabanter cross (can't explain otherwise) that must have come from the dark side of my coop (main rooster is Jersey Giant) and the chick is turning into a beautiful back hen with a fetching doo all her own. Unless there's a stray gene in the genetic pool. I am still scratching my head over mine. I actually have two chicks that look like this from two back to back hatches. Guess the momma hen has to work this out of her system so to speak before I get my purebred chicks again.

[​IMG]

8. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    That would be awesome if they were part Polish b/c two of my three polish chicks died. I just hope they are pullets so I can keep them. [​IMG]

9. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    side question, what kinda camera are you using? Beautiful chicks by the way ! [​IMG]

10. kara_leigh

May 3, 2011
    Bradleyville, MO
    Nikon D50 with a 70-300mm lens. Young chickens are difficult subjects b/c they move so fast. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by