Any idea what this is on my duck?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by CarrieH, Mar 14, 2015.

1. CarrieH

CarrieH New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    we just noticed these scabs on our 1 year old female pekin duck. They are on her abdomen; the area feels pretty warm and firm. It does not seem painful to her, and we have never witnessed her picking. I'm going to dust for mites since we've had geese in our yard, and I'm trying to get her a vet appointment tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas? I'm very worried about her. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chickster5003

chickster5003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2013
    If you have a male its most likely over mating. This happened to my chicken hen. She was constantly mated, so we separated her and her feathers grew back.

3. CarrieH

CarrieH New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    We separated them about 3 months ago when she started missing feathers on her neck, so everything we noticed then has grown back

4. chickster5003

Sep 1, 2013
    I would put her in a dry as possible area, which I know can be hard with ducks and clean it 2 to 3 times a day. Do this for two to three weeks. After about a week you should see some improvement. Does it seem to be infected or have puss

5. CarrieH

CarrieH New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    Doesn't look infected and no puss. When I peeled back the scabs they look pink and like they're healing, but they almost seem to tunnel a little bit. She doesn't have access to a pool and her water in her house has a lid, so she stays pretty dry. We have gotten tons of rain lately, so it is pretty muddy outside. I don't know if maybe that caused a fungus or something.

6. chickster5003

Sep 1, 2013
    It's definitely from old feather, I would make sure to clean it everyday with a warm paper towel to keep it from getting infected. On my chicken it eventually healed itself

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would let her swim in lukewarm water at least once a day. The vet is a very good idea.

8. chickster5003

Sep 1, 2013

I agree! How long has this been going on?

9. CarrieH

CarrieH New Egg

Feb 20, 2014
    Just noticed it yesterday. I pick her up everyday, so that makes me think it couldn't have been there too long without me noticing. We are taking her to the vet Monday. I also texted the pictures to one of my friends that's a vet, she wasn't sure what it could be, so she forwarded it to a few old classmates.

10. healtyfeathers

healtyfeathers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2014
    Thailand
    It seems to me that most of the skin/feather issues that ducks have come from a lack of bathing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by