Any idea what this mystery mixed breed pullet could be?

Abieda

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 13, 2014
North Carolina Sandhills
Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what kind of chicken this could be. I assume she is some sort of mixed breed but I have no idea what type of mix she could be. She lays a medium (silkie sized or slightly larger) white egg. She is smaller than my other chickens but bigger than most bantams. The last picture is of her next to my buff orpingtons to show her size. That photo is from about 2 months ago though and I think she has grown a little since then. I have two of her eggs in the incubator at the moment. Thanks in advance!

welcome-byc.gif

I would guess that she has a strong game fowl background. She should be an excellent broody hen and mother.

welcome-byc.gif

I agree, she's a game hen. They're decent enough layers, but their super powers are brooding and foraging!

Last edited:
Thank you both! I thought she was probably a game mix of some sort but I wasn't sure. I have only ever found 3 of her eggs and 2 are in the incubator and due to hatch on Monday. If they hatch, it will be interesting to see what they look like! I got her and another pullet at the same time from a woman that had raised them from chicks. She had picked them out of the same box of mixed breed chicks at the feed store. The other one looks completely different and I think is probably a mix of EE and orpington. She has dark legs and a pea comb but is shaped more like an orpington. She is VERY colorful. I call her my rainbow chicken.

One of our hens hatched out one like this only with slightly different feather colors. she was a bit chunkier though, a mix between Isa Brown layer and Silver dutch bantam. I agree that she is a sort of game fowl

Back
Top Bottom