1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any idea what we have here?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JNorth, Mar 3, 2014.

1. JNorth

JNorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    My husband bought a few chicks from the "pullet" bin at Tractor Supply. They were a light orange color. Now they are starting to feather and we are surprised to see black spotted feathers. It's the one with her head in the feeder, the orange one behind her came from the same bin but doesn't have nearly as much black in her feathers. So, anyone care to guess what kind of chicks we have here? Or, is it too early to tell?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  2. The reddish orange ones could be Rhode Island Reds. The yellow ones could be Buff Orpingtons.. I am not sure what the black ones are.. But I am pretty sure someone else will know!

3. JNorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    The black ones are black sex links. The really light yellow one peeking up front and way in the back are cornish rock hens. It's the orange ones that are our mystery hens. I was thinking that we have a buff or two for sure but then we had some coming along with the black spots so now I'm not so sure! :)

4. JNorth

Mar 7, 2012
    Western New York
    Here are some better pics of the wing feathers of the chicks in question...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    The second chick looks like a red sex link. The other one I do not know. Sorry but when it gets bigger post more pics if someone can not ID it for you now.

ETA google New Hampshire chicks and click on images. That might be what your speckledy wing girl is

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  6. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm thinking the same way you are tommy'sgirl. My guesses for #2 would be a red sex link or NHred. ~~Is #2 too dark to be a buff orp? #1 could be production RIR. black facing camera appears to have quite a bit of brown around her face. I don't think BSL have that much brown as chicks. Enjoy, nice looking birds. I love to see a mixed flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by