Any idea what would cause a sore on top of foot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bellaisa, Jul 19, 2018.

1. bellaisa

bellaisa Chirping

Apr 29, 2017
    Illinois
    I have a welsummer hen with an open sore on the top of her foot. Also on the top of her other foot she has what almost looks like a blister. She is does not act like she is in pain. She roosts and scratches normally. I have applied blu kote. Has anyone seen this before and know what could be the cause. image000000(2).jpg

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Can you post a picture of the bottom of the foot? It looks like bumblefoot infection, usually from staph infection. Is there a scab on the bottom of the foot with redness or swelling? Soaking the feet in warm Epsom salts for a couple of days, and possibly doing the surgery may help. Here is some reading about bumblefoot with pictures and videos of the surgery:
    https://www.hobbyfarms.com/how-to-treat-bumblefoot-in-chickens-3/
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/bumblefoot-causes-treatment-warning/

Chick-N-Fun and nminusyplusm like this.
  3. bellaisa

bellaisa Chirping

Apr 29, 2017
    Illinois
    Thanks for the reply I will post a picture of the bottom of her foot when I get home tonight. If it is bumblefoot will it heal on its own or do you have to cut it out.

4. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I usually do the surgery if there is a lot of swelling, pain, or limping. With the black scab seen in the pic, I would do surgery. Some do get bay with repeated foot soaks daily, and opening the scab to squeeze out any solid cheesy pus underneath.

bellaisa likes this.
  5. bellaisa

bellaisa Chirping

Apr 29, 2017
    Illinois
    Here are pictures from after an epson salt bath. Is this contagious only one of my 18 have it. 20180719_194818.jpg 20180719_194811.jpg

KikisGirls likes this.
  6. bellaisa

bellaisa Chirping

Apr 29, 2017
    Illinois
    I am very nervous about doing surgery and my DH will not help. What should I give her for pain when I do the surgery? Do i cut thru the center or around the edge of the sore spot? I may wait for the weekend when I can be home with her for the day.

KikisGirls likes this.
  7. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Bumble foot isn’t contagious. @KikisGirls can help you. She helped me. You will be in good hands.

Chick-N-Fun, bellaisa and KikisGirls like this.
  8. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki Quail Hatch TBD

Waiting for the weekend is fine.
    Don't be nervous...it really isn't that bad.

Soak again this weekend to help soften the scab, then scrape it off.
    Under neath that scab might be pus...pus is usually hard, nothing like human pus.
    You will want to squeeze or dig out as much pus as possible.

Let me see if I can find a good video.
    BRB

9. bellaisa

bellaisa Chirping

Apr 29, 2017
    Illinois
    Thank you I would Luke to see thea video if you find one

KikisGirls likes this.
  10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    The links in post 2 have good videos of the surgery. That is obvious bumblefoot on the footpads. Is she limping at all?

bellaisa likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: