1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any idea what would make a chick cough?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Geckos, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Geckos

Geckos Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2016
    [VIDEO]

Any idea what would cause a chick to cough like this? Ive had her for about 11 days now. She had been doing a kinda sneezing cough the days before this also was lethargic most of the time although she constantly cheeps, but not a normal cheep, this is more like 'singing', she even does it whilst sleeping. All day, all night. I had been putting garlic and ACV in the water for about a week and tbere was no change in her, two days ago i mixed in diatomaceous earth with her crumb, today she seems perkier and no coughing. Any idea what tbe cause may have been?

2. Farrier

Farrier Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2014
    Came here from your other post.
    I think she may have a respiratory infection, you may be able to get antibiotics from a vet. I would keep her warm and inside, separated from the others if possible. Is she eating and passing droppings normally?

3. Geckos

Apr 15, 2016
    Yes. Eating, drinking and pooping fine. The cough has stopped now.
    I don't see the rest of the post that I put with the video,but in short (because it's midnight now - lol) I started adding garlic and ACV to the water and after about a week there was no change in the sneezing/reaching so I put de powder in with the chick crumb and after about 2 days of eating it the chick started that awful cough but that only lasted about 30mins or so and I've not heard it since.

4. Geckos

Apr 15, 2016
    Just another observation. This chick nearly always has 1 eye shut always the right one. I tried to have a look but couldn't see anything. When I put the chick down there were bubbles all around the eye. I didn't get a pictures of the bubbles but this is the eye.[​IMG]

5. Geckos

Apr 15, 2016
    Just consulted with a Vet. He has said that it is more than likely Mycoplasma. If I want to bring the chick in to the surgery it will be a £25 consultation fee and then £8 injection fee, plus a follow up injection a couple of days later, for another £8. Highly annoying when I could buy a supply of Tylan 50 from a shop if I was in the US :/

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by