1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any idea when my BR pullets will begin to lay?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by redbarnmeadows, Apr 22, 2011.

1. redbarnmeadows

redbarnmeadows Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Poland, NY
    I've got 5 bourbon red pullets and 1 young tom, hatched late September/early October 2010. The tom has been strutting for well over a month now and they all have the outward appearance of proper adults. Given that they were from an autumn hatch, any guesses on when I might expect some eggs?

2. redbarnmeadows

Apr 27, 2009
    Poland, NY
    Anybody got any guesses? [​IMG]

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    Quote:My late hatches have been laying for about 6 weeks now. I already have poults out of them. If they freerange then they might be laying and you haven't found the nest yet.

4. redbarnmeadows

Apr 27, 2009
    Poland, NY
    Nope, not free-ranged. They have a fenced yard that is free of any hiding places and a big coop with a dark-corner nest box and everything.....all the little homey touches they could ask for. Hmm, maybe it's the difference in region then - Upstate NY versus Texas. If you've been getting eggs for 6 weeks then maybe mine shouldn't be much farther behind. *sigh* I'll just keep watching, waiting, and begging I guess. At least you've given me hope that maybe it won't be much longer. Thanks! [​IMG]

5. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    We staretd about a mont later than usuall down here due to the cold weather. Its been pretty winter like up there. They will lay! Feeding a good 20% laying feed will do you wonders on turkeys and guineas.

6. redbarnmeadows

Apr 27, 2009
    Poland, NY
    Yep, all my turkeys and chickens are on 18% breeder pellets. I think you're right - it's probably the weather. It's been a rainy and all-around crappy spring so far. I'm sure it won't be much longer then. Patience is just not a virtue I was blessed with, lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by