Any idea who's laying these eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CowgirlMama, Aug 18, 2011.

1. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Ok- so my pullets started laying a couple weeks ago. The White Leghorns have been laying for a couple weeks, and now I have at least 2 other hens laying, just not sure who. Can you help me identify which breed(s) are laying? I'm pretty sure the small white one on the right is from a Leghorn. I think the one on the left is from a GSL, and the one in the middle is either a Barred Rock, Black Australorp, New Hampshire Red or GSL. My hunch is either Barred Rock or Australorp... Thanks! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Could be any of the ones you mentioned. But go with your hunch because you are there and can see what the hens look like. Could very well be the BR or the Australorp.

3. itom37

itom37 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2011
    Of the birds you listed, the white leghorns are your only white egg layers, by my understanding. No idea on the brown one.

4. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Quote:That's my understanding as well... but I've gathered 2 of the large "white" ones.. and I can't tell if they are truly white or off white... and they are SO much bigger than all the other I've gathered... and I watched one of the Leghorns lay last week, so I know what they "should" look like... The Leghorns are just so much smaller in size compared to everyone else... not sure if that dictates egg size at all... Guess I'll just keep watchin'! [​IMG]

5. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

You seem to have the same egg collection I've beeb receiving this year. My Black Astralorp is donating the large brown eggs, I have an orpington donating the ex-large eggs, and a leghorn laying the white eggs( this is her first month at laying eggs)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by