1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any Idea why my rooster Zeus runs from baby chicks

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TheTwoRoos, Apr 15, 2016.

1. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    I have gotten six new chicks who all appear helathy accept for one.I take them outside and let them mingle with everybody.

Well,I tried letting them mingle with zeus my rooster,no wire nothing.And he ran scard for his life.He's about ten times fatter and taller then them,and he is scared?Any one elses rooster do this.

2. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    It may be possible that he's never seen a chick? Dunno, but i notice that sometimes new additions to my flock act a little strangely when momma has chicks - my theory is that they are hatched and raised en masse, and have never experienced living in a flock where chicks are around. Alternatively, he could be just crazy [​IMG]

CT

3. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    Maybe he's just not ready to commit to having a family. Kids are a big responsibility you know.

1 person likes this.
  4. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    [​IMG]

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have not seen that with a rooster but I have seen a hen run from a small chick that ran towards her. I don’t remember how old the chick was, pretty small, but it was being raised by a broody hen with the flock so young chicks were not strangers to that hen. I think she just didn’t expect it and the chick startled her.

I assume that was the first time that rooster saw the chicks. Chickens are prey animals and can be pretty cautious. I think I’ll tell my worm story.

One time when I was harvesting corn from the garden, I collected a yogurt cup of corn ear worms. I dumped those worms on a bare patch of dirt near some 10 week old chicks that had been free ranging for a while. The chicks very cautiously started edging toward those worms, creeping closer and closer. A worm wiggled! Run away! Run away!

But they did not run far. Slowly they gathered themselves and very cautiously started edging toward those worms, creeping closer and closer. A worm wiggled! Run away! Run away!

This repeated four or five times until a brave young cockerel snatched a worm. That’s all it took. That pile of worms was consumed in 30 seconds. Chicken TV is often better than anything on cable, satellite, or antenna.

I’m not suggesting that the rooster will harm the chicks in any way. I’ve never had a rooster even threaten a young chick. It’s more likely that he will help take care of them once he gets his act together. But I just think it was his natural caution at a new situation that left him uncertain. So he did what chickens often do in that situation. Run away! Run away!

It’s a shame you were not filming that, but I never have a camera handy at those moments either.

6. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    Never ever have saw him more scared in my life!

7. TheTwoRoos

Sep 25, 2015
    He does seem like the type to care for them (Since they have no mother)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by