Any ideas about what she might be???

Mainechick168

Songster
7 Years
May 12, 2012
Maine
This is racing stripe. She is about 7 months old. She is hatchery stock- sold to me as an "ameracauna" or "easter egger". I'm thinking she can't be this because, she just started laying, and her egg is very light brownish pink.... as you can see, she also does not have the typical muffs....

any thoughts??

She might very well be and 'Easter egger'. They are, after all, mix breeds. Which means that pretty much anything goes. My lovely Candy was sold to me as an Americana (which I already knew meant that she was most likely really an EE) and she was 'guaranteed' to lay green eggs... I am still holding out hope that I'll get a green egg but I'm pretty sure she's the one who has recently started producing lovely, very light brown eggs with darker speckles on them.
Just like with any other mixed breed pet - there is NO way to really predict what the genetic fall-out will end up as. Racing Stripe is really a very lovely hen and those are very nice eggs.
smile.png

thanks for the input! I am aware that the EE's are mixes, but I had always heard that the blue egg gene was dominant, so that even being a mix, they should lay blue eggs? You know though, I suppose it does not make a difference what she is, she is a sweet bird, and she is laying some super eggs- bigger than my barred and white rocks right now!

Both of my EE pullets have the pea comb, but they are only 9 weeks old, so no eggs yet from them. Your other EE's could lay blue, green or brown. It is hard to tell since EE's are mixes and not breeds. The only guarantee for blue eggs is Aracuna/Ameracuana from a reputable breeder. Or spend lots of money and get Legbars, I think they are a blue egger too.

Back
Top Bottom