Any ideas.....are these pullets or roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by uptail, Mar 21, 2012.

1. uptail

uptail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Southern WV
    I am very new to raising chicks, and I cannot decide what sex these little ones might be.... anyone have any ideas?

This is supposed to be a tetra tint pullet:
    [​IMG]

This one a red pullet:
    [​IMG]

And these last four pics are of two little Ameraucana chicks I just have no idea about!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

The first California White-Tetra Tent is a pullet, Production Red is a Pullet, The two EEs Look like Pullets....They are still young tho soo some could be boys

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  3. jstagrl8110

jstagrl8110 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Gaithersburg, MD
    I, too, am new at raising chickens. But, from what I've been told, the comb color is a big indicator....the brighter red, the more the rooster! Also, I have been told, that the farther south their tail feathers go, the more they are hens.... and the farther north they go, more the rooster?!!?

Best of luck to the both of us!!! : )

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    I agree, still a bit young to tell. The good news is that there arn't any signs so far of roo-ness that I can see. The wild pattern on your EEs is a very good sign that they will be pullets, and if the colors are pretty correct on your camera, it looks like you have one Silver Duckwing and one Gold Duckwing EE. Good array of colors!

5. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

Combs are a great sign of telling boy or girl. [​IMG]

Ive never heard about the tail feathers tho..ill check that out and see what info i can get on it. Thanks for sharing the info [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    All look like girls so far. Only one I'd keep an eye on is the red one, something just tickles my brain saying "maybe it's a roo", but I can't put my finger on it.

7. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I agree with others but, question your one EE if, it starts getting more red coloring on shoulders it's a roo. I had 4 that looked like that - all turned out to be very pretty roos.

8. uptail

uptail Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2012
    Southern WV
    From what I've learned through reading only, I'm most curious about the reddish Easter egger.....seems the tail is less fan tailed and pointed upwards?

And I sure hope the red production is a girl! She's my absolute favorite and the sweetest natured. "Laura".

9. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    I think the red production looks like a hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by