Any ideas as to what breed these are?

momof4boys

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 21, 2009
battle ground, WA
They are from an assortment of 'rainbow layers' from MM and I can't figure these ones out. They were chipmunks as little babies. They have pea combs and very yellow legs.
This is my first time posting so hopefully I can manage to get the pictures up with this.
25622_100_3829.jpg
25622_100_3775.jpg

I am hopelessly addicted to this forum!!
Thanks

The pea comb would indicate a blue/green egg layer, and although the legs are yellow rather than green they are probably hatchery araucana/ameraucana (easter eggers).

Thanks for the quick response! This is the greatest place!
I have been calling them brown leghorns all along but, as they've grown, things just weren't looking right. The yellow legs really had me puzzled because all the EE's I see usually have green legs. Also, having no muffs. I would be thrilled if they are EE's, because in ordering the rainbow layers I was expecting some, and thought I hadn't gotten any. There are actually 5 of them that look like these.
Will their legs change color as they get older?

Yes, EEs have pea combs, but not all chickens with pea combs are blue/green egg layers. Your chicks don't have any other signs of being an EE (or ameraucana) and don't look at all like EEs to me.

I think the 2 chicks pictured are dark cornish. Feather coloring, leg color, & pea combs all fit the description.

Click here and you can see photos of 1 month old dark cornish chicks that look just like yours (scroll past the photos of the pig, goats, & the rooster - almost 1/2 way down the page):

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...soft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&rlz=1I7GGLF&sa=G&um=1

So is it possible that this is also a dark cornish?

We were thinking sussex but maybe?

24322_little_chicks_024.jpg

mine also came from MM but as a brown egg layer mix.

hmmm

Quote:
The feather color on yours looks different than the op's, but I don't think speckled sussex have yellow legs. Probably something entirely different. What kind of comb does your chick have? Could it be a brown leghorn? Leghorns have single comb types & yellow legs.

I have two that are the same, I am really bad at this identification stuff, anyway they do have single combs and almost orange legs, but the list that MM gave me is as follows:
Black Australorps; Lt. Brahmas; Dark Cornish; Black and White Giants; Buff and White Orpingtons; New Hampshire, Rhode Island Reds, Barred, White, Partridge, Buff Rocks;Delaware, Sussex, Turkens; White, Silver Laced, & Columbian Wyandottes, Red Star and Black Star.

So if they are good at sticking to what they say then I don't think I would have two but I don't really know. I have posted the question before and had someone say it looked like a speckled sussex, and someone else said could be the partridge rock, but it didn't match either compleatly
sad.png
Maybe the leg color will lighten up but the rest that are the same age already have started changing leg color and beek color, I just keep looking at this thread hoping to see something like it.
smile.png

Thank you so much for the response.

Back
Top Bottom