Any ideas? Black Rock?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ellahere, Mar 6, 2014.

1. ellahere

ellahere Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    Hi, these 3 reddish 13 week old pullets were hatched from green eggs (all except the black one, which came from a regular brownish egg). The guy who sold me the eggs said some were Black Rock cross Plymouth Rock. Does anyone have any ideas which breed, or if cocks/hens? I am intrigue

ed by the crests on their heads.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

My answer is based on you living in the US.....

They're all mixed breed pullets. The brown ones, if hatched from a green egg, would by default be part Easter egger. Easter eggers are basically any generic chicken with the blue/green egg gene. They usually have dark or green legs, pea combs and beards or muffs. The crests, yellow legs, clean faces and straight combs show they've had a lot of something else added to that.....really no telling what. Silkies could have added the crest, but it would have been far enough back the tree to lose the black skin, 5th toe, feathered legs. The next popular breed would be Polish for that crest, they're clean legged so that could be a contender.

The black barred hen likely had a barred father and a red mother.

3. ellahere

ellahere Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    Falmouth, Cornwall, UK
    thank you! I live in the UK but think you are right about them being mixed...
    Any idea what an 'easter egger' is in England? I am sure there is another name for them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by