Any ideas? breed/gender

Avie02

Chirping
Feb 3, 2021
Hi!

These are our 6-week old chickens. I don't know much about them as these were not my own hatch so I'm keen to know what you all think in regard to gender and breed :)

All photos are individual (no repeats - we have 7 chickens in total)

P.S - I'm not really sure what people look for when it comes to gender and breed identification so, I'm happy to upload more photos if you can let me know what position or part of the chicken is best for this :)

Attachments

• IMG_2711.jpg
    IMG_2711.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2712.jpg
    IMG_2712.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2714.jpg
    IMG_2714.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2715.jpg
    IMG_2715.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2718.jpg
    IMG_2718.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2719.jpg
    IMG_2719.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2725.jpg
    IMG_2725.jpg
    108.8 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
All are looking like pullets.
Seeing two bsl, two buff orpingtons, a rsl, and a possible easter egger...I can't tell if that's a single or a pea comb on the colombian patterned bird. Full body shots would be great.

All are looking like pullets.
Seeing two bsl, two buff orpingtons, a rsl, and a possible easter egger...I can't tell if that's a single or a pea comb on the colombian patterned bird. Full body shots would be great.
Thank you - I will get some full body shots of them and upload them tomorrow :)

P.S - I'm not really sure what people look for when it comes to gender and breed identification so, I'm happy to upload more photos if you can let me know what position or part of the chicken is best for this :)

Things we usually look for when guessing breeds:
--color of chicken, and the patterns in the feathers, and the general shape of the body. A side view of the whole chicken is really helpful for this. This is the single most helpful kind of photo, because it lets us recognize many of the common breeds very quickly.

--type of comb. You photos show this reasonably well, although it can be hard to get CLEAR photos of the comb because chickens move their heads so fast.

--color of legs & feet, whether they have feathers on the feet, whether they have extra toes on the feet. You show that well for some of the chicks, not so well for some others.

And of course if a chicken has a crest or beard or eartufts on the head, or an extra-long tail, or feathers with a very different texture (hairy, or sticking out), those also help identify certain breeds.

Back
Top Bottom