Any Ideas? Bulg on hen

ChickenDoDoDo

Chirping
Jun 28, 2021
We have a hen who is new too us, she came to us with 2 babies, her babies are now grown and she has started laying again up until last week.

I noticed when we got her that she had a bald belly area and it looked a bit swollen. But this seems like it is getting much larger?

Any ideas

Attachments

• Snapchat-1615688867.jpg
    Snapchat-1615688867.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Snapchat-332138591.jpg
    Snapchat-332138591.jpg
    478.2 KB · Views: 7
How old is she? She has an enlarged lower belly. The paler area looks suspicious. I would keep an eye out to make sure that no one is pecking at her there, or that she is getting droppings stuck to it. Flies are bad to lay maggot eggs onthat area especially if it gets injured or has poop stuck. That can lead to flystrike, a deadly infestation of maggots.

The enlarged belly could be a sign of ascites (water belly,) internal laying of masses of lash material, fat, cancer, or a hernia. These can be common in hens over 2, and I have had a few of those. They lived for a few years, but when they died I did home necropsies, and found various of the above problems.

How old is she? She has an enlarged lower belly. The paler area looks suspicious. I would keep an eye out to make sure that no one is pecking at her there, or that she is getting droppings stuck to it. Flies are bad to lay maggot eggs onthat area especially if it gets injured or has poop stuck. That can lead to flystrike, a deadly infestation of maggots.

The enlarged belly could be a sign of ascites (water belly,) internal laying of masses of lash material, fat, cancer, or a hernia. These can be common in hens over 2, and I have had a few of those. They lived for a few years, but when they died I did home necropsies, and found various of the above problems.
We really are unsure of age, do you think she could be in pain?

Thank you for your help :)

She has ascites. Aka water belly. Look up videos on YT about how to drain it. She may live a long time whilst you manage this disease, or may not.

I've just read Eggcessive's post. Yes to making sure her bum is kept clean because the bulge will serve as a shelf to collect poop. And that can lead to other problems like flystrike, vent gleat, infection, etc

We really are unsure of age, do you think she could be in pain?

Thank you for your help :)
It is hard to know if she is in pain. If she just sits around, not wanting to move, or stops eating, she may be in pain. I have had a few hens with ascites or internal laying. Some had these bulges for 2-3 years, and they did normal activities, and did not seem to be in pain. Draining ascites or water belly can be done with an 18 gauge or large sterilized needle, to confirm there is yellow fluid, and to help relieve pressure, but it is not without risk of infection or death.

Yeah, my hen lived with ascites for years, just had to drain it every few months, which was easier than I thought. She was a RSL and outlived her sisters by years, also proved an excellent broody.

She lived a normal chicken life, no pain symptoms or disability btw.

Sometimes they can have a bulge from a persist right oviduct (or cystic right oviduct.) Most hens have only a functioning left oviduct, and the right one atrophies. If you try to drain them and get clear colorless fluid instead of yellow, that may be what is happening. Ascites fluid can be from yellow, amber, or even greenish brown if there is severe liver problems. It should never be clear and colorless.

Back
Top Bottom