Any ideas for a fun investment?

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by yanks26, Jan 14, 2009.

1. yanks26

yanks26 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Im looking into starting a small business of some sort (besides chickens). What other animals could I try to raise? I heard of rats and termites but that I have no interest in. What else is there?

2. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    Red worms are an idea. If you are in a fishing area you could also do krickets for fishing.

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I've been giving some thought to mealworms, there are a lot of bird fanciers here. Like me!

4. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    I thought about doing a worm farm except I live in the Northeast and what happens once the ground freezes up. I sure as heck aint bringin them inside lol.

5. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    What about raising bees for their honey?

6. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

For worms, you would keep them in bins. If you have a garage or shed, you could keep them there. There is a guy in my area known as "Worm Dude" that made 6 figures selling worms. [​IMG] He goes to the local Farmer's Markets and sells them and shows you how to do it. $25 per pound is what we paid for ours. [​IMG]

7. krjwaj

krjwaj Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2008
    Apex, NC
    What about raising bees for their honey?

YUMMMM [​IMG]

8. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Wow. How big of a business did he have? Like have u ever seen his worm farm?

9. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    I like your idea of raising bees. Our bee populations are reported to be dwindling so adding to the population would be a good thing. Besides raising bees for honey and beeswax, some people rent their hives seasonally to farmers to pollinate their orchards.

In the west, because we have so much trouble with wild fires in the dry summers, there are people who raise flocks of goats and lease them out to graze the brush off hillsides. They use a portable electric fence and move the herd as needed. They are rented to cities, counties, and state parks departments as well as to private land owners who have property that is not easily mowed due to terrain. Im guessing that the feed costs are almost non-existent while the goats are "working".

chel

10. yanks26

Jan 9, 2009
    Connecticut
    Those are some phenomenal ideas! Im debating between bees or worms. I heard lots of good things from worms if you can manage to sell to local farmers markets.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by