Any ideas for a poultry club fundraiser?Chicken Tamales, Chick auction

SloCrevs

Songster
12 Years
Oct 21, 2007
Central Coast, CA
Our small 4H club(8 kids in the poultry project), need to do a fund raiser to cover the cost of fair entries, fair passes, a standard of perfection, etc.

Well my mom and I were talking(the teen leader and leader, although she's just doing it so I can lead), and we're thinking of doing either a chicken tamale feed(and cheese for veggies) bc my grandma makes some mean tamales, or having a chick auction. The idea actually came from this site when I was browsing the forums. We have a livestock auction house around here, and we were thinking of holding it there. We have plenty of breeders in the area who I'm sure would be glad to help out. I know I'll donate some serama, seramaXcochin. Any ideas?

-Sarah

PS. Thanks in advance!

PSS-Raffles are not allowed, sadly.

If you have an auction place nearby you could do a chicken auction, sell snacks and drinks and maybe even have a silent auction set up. That could range from items donated from businesses and local merchants to services offered.

Having a huge poultry community helps and since it's 4H people are more willing to help.

It's also a great way to make people more aware of your 4H group and even may recruit new members

Last edited:
The club in Bath, NY does 2 poultry auctions a year. Includes al kinds of poultry young and old as well as equipment. They make enough on the commissions to fund their show in the fall. They put on a great show with lots of prizes.

SEND ME SOME OF THOSE TAMALES!!! I'll donate!! (heck, I'll send extra to cover the dry ice and shipping!)

Bake sales (advertise those fresh eggs!) are always good

Raffle off some chicks along with the auction

Yard sale (everybody has junk they want to get rid of, but need a good excuse to give it up) leftover stuff not sold can be donated to a local charity (GoodWill, Children's Home, Women's Shelter etc)

Education
Print flyers about care and feeding etc. OF COURSE, mentioning the shows and fairs, and ask if you can put them in pet shops, feed stores etc, with a donation box. (use CUTE pics) This gets you donations, allows the store to hand out free care sheets and save some lives that might otherwise be lost from improper care.

SO....
Plan the chicken auction, using the donation boxes at the feed/pet stores to help spread the word, use the sale of raffle tickets to spread the word, put some of the stuff from the yard sale in the auction, have a bake sale table at the sale........AND SEND ME SOME TAMALES!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Too bad I'm the only one w/ laying birds right now! *all our kids are new to chickens, except me.

Quote:
It's such a bummer this year, we can't do raffles, the UC system changed their policy to include "NO RAFFLES" as it is seen as a form of gambling.

So there went a lot of clubs income

Quote:
We did this in a larger group(~30 kids) and it worked well, the only thing is, we have 11 kids they come from 4 families. So a yard sale might have to wait for 1-2 years until we have some greater numbers

Quote:
Silent auction is good at the actual auction. Food booth is a great idea! We can combine the tamale idea with the chick auction! It's hilarious b/c this grandmother(tamale gma) is from Minnesota/north Dakota(aka salsa is a chopped up tomato w/ green onions), and now she makes better tamales then my gma who is 1/2 Mexican Indian!

UPDATE: I talked to a friend who has a bunch of "barnyard" birds as well as show birds, and they're willing to donate a weeks worth of eggs(adds up to about 24X7=168 eggs!)

*gives me an excuse to test the new home made incubator*

-Sarah

Quote:
We did this in a larger group(~30 kids) and it worked well, the only thing is, we have 11 kids they come from 4 families. So a yard sale might have to wait for 1-2 years until we have some greater numbers

Who says the stuff has to be from THEIR garage? Canvass the neighbors. Offer to help clean out the garage/basement. Keep some stuff for the sale and maybe earn some money that way too!

Sarah if your 4H decides to have a chick auction ask on here for donations. I have seen members donate hatching eggs and even chicks to other 4H groups. If you ask ahead of time you could even hatch some of the eggs yourself before the auction.

I for one would donate.

Thank you Guys. I'm starting my calls and whatnot tomorrow. My cochin right now is fertile by my serama, and she's laying everyday, so I'll have some cochinXserama cross for auction.

Back
Top Bottom