Any Idea's For Droppings?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mtnhomechick, Jan 11, 2009.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Right now I have 40 plus chickens and I am wondering what to do with the droppings. I've been putting them out in the woods on our land but wish I knew someone who wanted them.

I know landscapers use duck droppings but never heard whether Chicken droppings are that useful.

Last summer dh used a ton of them mixed with straw from cleaning the coop to grow grass and it was VERY good for that. We don't need to grow any more grass.

I have dropping boards so some is straight poop and some is mixed with straw from the coop and run.

I get about a 30 gal. garbage can full of the straight droppings a week.

I clean the coop and run about once every two weeks. I have a big pile of that in my yard, like maybe two pickup trucks full.

Should I advertise for $ or free for the taking? I feel kind of silly advertising poop but someone out there might be able to use it. I really want to get rid of it!!!

Any idea's?

2. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    have a look on the sister site The Easygarden.com.... lots of helpful info.....I put mine on the compost heap and then onto the garden in the spring....

3. orcasislandchickens

orcasislandchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Put it in a pile and compost it. When I had horses I connected up with an organic landscape gardener. He helped me to make a very neat system of 3 piles of organic compost. I agreed to dump the new stuff in a specified order, he came every couple of weeks and cleaned out the oldest pile. He was about the happiest man alive for a number of years. And I was right there with him. We realy got a system going over the years.

Chicken manure is a very sought after organic gardening aid. Find an avid gardener or a small landscape company and make their day ( If you can't use it that is).

4. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Any Idea's For Droppings?

I thought you meant for like, earrings or pencil toppers. I really checked out this thread to see what folks were going to come up with...... [​IMG] [​IMG]

Seriously, chicken poo is great fertilizer, but it does have to be composted first.

Cheri​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by