Any Ideas for "Guard Birds"?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mkhenderson17, Sep 8, 2010.

1. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Ok so we dont have many preditors because my Guard Llama does an awsome job, However, my chicken coop is still accessible to preditors from one side. The llama cant get to this side. I have hens and roosters in the pen. I have heard many different types of critters to put in to use as guard animals but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I have heard of guenia's , geese, and turkeys (not really into turkeys though.) my hens, well their pullets, and roosters and all right around 5-6mts old. If I am posting this in the wrong pleace please let me know.

thanks!
    Mandy

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a problem with possums when i had a few ducks....I got a Great Pyraneese and have not had one problem since.....I don't have the ducks anymore but i do have a cat that stays in the barn with the chickens..(I think she thinks she is one of them LOL) I got some guinea's in July and they hang out in the coop i have to kick em out side and i think they give out more warnings but i have heard of them surrounding a fox somewhere on here!.....good luck

edited to say: The dog is in a fenced pen at night and cannot get to all sides predators stay away!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by