Any ideas for introducing 2 roosters?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by KellyHM, Jan 19, 2009.

1. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I got a new Frizzle roo this weekend (needed that like a hole in the head) and was wondering if it's possible to introduce him to my other Frizzle roo so they can share a pen and the ladies (after quarantine of course). The roo I already had is about 1 yr old and the new one is 6 months. There will also be 2 new ladies going in the pen with them. Any ideas?

2. pipermark

pipermark Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2007
    Arkansas
    If you can , put him in the pen in a see through cage first , so the other rooster can get use to him in his territory.

Be prepared for some fighting once you let them loose. Let them fight but stand by in case it gets out of hand. Its better they determine dominance with you there, if you dont let them fight , they will do it latter when you are not around.

Depending on the breed , shouldn't be bad at all. by the way, if you have any hens , they too will probably pick on the new roo until his place in the whole flock is determined.

3. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Well, I threw the new roo in the cage...they stared at each other for a minute or so, then the older one started trying to feed the new one...much less drama than I expected! On the other hand, one of the hens was trying to duke it out w/ the new roo...silly chickens!

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    So how many hens and roos do you have living together? Just curious as I can't tell your flock numbers from your sig. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by