Any ideas for making homemade feeders?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by equine chick, May 19, 2008.

1. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I'm getting more chicks and I want to make my own feeders, any ideas? I would like them for chicks and full grown chickens. Trying to save a few bucks if I can do it myself with todays grocery and gas prices.

2. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    Go to search and type in homemade feeders, there are alot on here you just gotta look for them.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I take a bucket (preferably a good rigid one that has a tightly-closing lid, like a horse supplement bucket) and find a round pan that is about 2-3" larger in diameter than the bottom of the bucket. Mark how high the pan's lip comes when you set the bucket in the pan, then cut out some large holes or notches along the bottom of the bucket sides that are that height, for the food to come out. I use a drill and/or a stout knife, and a certain amount of care [​IMG] Then pop-rivet the bucket to the pan. Presto. You can hang it from the bucket handle, and the bucket's lid keeps chickens etc out of the top of the feeder. If you use it outside, hanging a large saucer-type squirrel baffle over top will keep rain out of the pan part of the feeder.

I just made another one yesterday in fact, to replace a slightly older one made with too weak and wibbly a pan and no handle on the bucket so I had to use a crummy jury-rigged system. The crummy older one can be seen here
    [​IMG]

I have made 2 others since, much better than this one, but don't have pix of them at the moment.

If this is just for chicks, I've had luck with a 1.8 L plastic icecream bucket not even pop-riveted to the pan, just set into it... if you look close you can see it in this [​IMG]
    and in this one too:
    [​IMG]

If you put the chick feeder on a 12-16" square of plywood or whatever, and as the chicks grow put another board or two just under the feeder itself, it reduces the amount of food waste (it doesn't disappear irretrievably into the bedding).

BTW, just to warn you because people occasionally make this giant mistake, you CANNOT construct a waterer in this way. The waterer has to have a vacuum inside, and of course having an open top prevents that [​IMG]

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

Last edited: May 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by