Any Ideas for my shed?? going to make it into a coop..(PICS)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by capecodpeeps, Jun 8, 2009.

1. capecodpeeps

capecodpeeps Songster

May 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

Any IDEAS??

Last edited: Jun 8, 2009
  2. DarkWolf

DarkWolf Songster

Nov 11, 2008
    Murray Kentucky
    Turn it into a chicken coop?? [​IMG]

Ideas as in... What?

I could think of any number of things.

3. capecodpeeps

capecodpeeps Songster

May 22, 2009
    I kind of have a small backyard, and I was thinking about the left side of the shed be the coop, now do I have nest boxes on floor height or mid hieght of the shed? there is a counter running along the left side with a window at the mid height level or should i put there nest on floor level?

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks Songster

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    We split ours into two and have two separate runs going off of it so that we can separate the babes from the big kids. Also left an area up front inside that is just for brooding chickys.

5. i'm making a shed into a coop also. I bought a $20 ready made screen door that i'm gonna cover with hardware cloth wire for added ventilation and predator proof. My roosts are a little less than three feet high, birds jump right up to it and like to look out the windows which i also covered with hardware cloth, my nest boxes are about 1.5 ft. off the ground. Gonna insulate mine before winter. Do some surfing here you'll have lots of ideas and many more questions! lol

6. alycoop

alycoop Songster

Feb 7, 2009
    Vancouver WA
    You mention your yard is small - how many chickens do you plan to keep?

I like the idea of using the left side and putting nest boxes mid-height.
    Would the right side be used for storage?

7. morninggloryhatchery

morninggloryhatchery Songster

Jun 24, 2009
    Wasilla
    Also remember when you are putting it together chickens love to roost. So when your making it you might as well put a roosting poll in it.

Joy

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    That's a really nice shed you have there, and it should make a great coop. I would make sure to add ventilation in addition to the windows. A nice pop door out to the run, nest boxes, roosts, and you should be good to go.

9. babyspice35

babyspice35 Songster

Mar 10, 2009
    Maui Wowee
    If you're going to split it in half, one side for storage and one for chickens, you should put a solid divider to protect your stored items from dust and any attracted bugs/rodents.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: