1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Any ideas for non wood perches?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by gabbyscritters, Aug 21, 2011.

1. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    We are battling scale leg mites and would love to get rid of wood perches. Wooden perched make such good hiding spots for leg mites and they do gather poop.
    Hubby thought of pvc pipe but We decided too slippery and round shape is not the best for perching.
    It is however cheap.
    Wondering about pvc deck rails, looked expensive when I checked online.
    Does anyone use pvc or any other non wood material for posts.
    We have little bantams, they have mainly 2x4's right now.

2. stone_family3

stone_family3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Ohio
    I have three types of perches in my run and coop. Wood (made from tree branches), pvc (in the run they have used it but not often), and dried sunflower stalks (for the chicks).

What about a plastic coated pipe or covering a piece of pvc with hardwire mesh for some extra grip.

3. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    metal studs?

4. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you tried DE "food grade diatomaceous earth" on the pearches?

5. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I would suggest that metal transmits heat and cold too well, I can picture a chicken stuck to a pearch in the winter [​IMG]

6. Czech's_chicks

Czech's_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2011
    Vista, CA
    I've used old fence poles, shower rods, and anything else that is straight and can absorb the weight. Good lucks. I know those little buggars can be hard to get rid of. [​IMG]

7. jrosto

jrosto Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2011
    Have you thought about Mesquite wood branches? Easy to clean, not much place for mites to hide, way superior to metal or PVC in the winter, and natural.

8. PGH

PGH New Egg

Aug 22, 2011
    How about composite decking boards?

9. gabbyscritters

gabbyscritters Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    fredonia, wi
    Yes, the new types of deck material We are going to look into. Will let everyone know what We end up with.

10. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Have you tried DE "food grade diatomaceous earth" on the pearches?

That would be my recommendation. Stick with the wood, which after all is not what is causing the mites. I would sprinkle DE all over the coop and run to kill the mites/fleas/parasites and be done with it.
    Wood is what would be natural to them.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by