Any ideas for shed conversion?

benkelly

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 1, 2014
I've got 5 chicks

How large is the shed - LxWxH?

I have my coop in a 12x16 shed, and I have a separate area for the ducks, another for the chickens, two sets of brooders, plus hospital cages and storage for hay, feed, corn and scratch. I have re-built the inside of my shed 2-3 times, as each time I learn what works and what does not, and decide to re-arrange things to make it easier for me and better for the birds.

Here's our shed conversion:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-hennery

The things we were glad we added:
  • Poop board under roost
  • Lots of windows for natural light
  • Sand for litter
  • Sweet PDZ for poop board
  • Netting to prevent roosting in the rafters
  • Hooks for tools like putty knife scraper and scoop

Things we wish we added:
  • Poop board should extend to wall in between studs
  • Walled off entrance area so when you open the door, there's no chance of chickens trying to get out (we use a curtain)
  • Would be convenient to have a people door between coop and run
  • Secure storage area for snacks, paper towels, etc.

Good luck!

I have almost finished my shed/coop conversion. I kept 3/4 of the shed for myself and gave them the top back side. They have 3x10 feet of interior space for 6 chickens. Next weekend i am working on creating a enclosed run and adding a door and electricity to the coop.

The doors were old teak chairs and the nesting boxes was a portion of a TV armiore with the bottom half cut off and dividers added. I added laminate to the flooring and put a roosting bar which was an old closet clothing rod.

Last edited:
The doors were old teak chairs and the nesting boxes was a portion of a TV armiore with the bottom half cut off and dividers added. I added laminate to the flooring and put a roosting bar which was an old closet clothing rod.
You might want to attach a 1 x 4 across the bottom of the nesting boxes so bedding doesn't fall out. What size chickens do you have? Using a closet rod for their roosting bar will be incredibly hard on their feet. Chickens don't "grip" when they roost. It would be best to use a 2 x 4 laying 'flat' so they can sit comfortably and also they can keep their feet/legs warm during winter months.

Back
Top Bottom